VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recovered a mkv-file with a recovery software. The file is intact recovered but I can't play it. Even when I tried the program to convert to an avi-file, no use. The file seems corrupt after it was recovered. Can someone help me?
    The problem is not new for me. In the passed I tried also some other recovered video files, but they never could play. Are those recovery programs useless, or what is the cause?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Open your file in a hex editor.
    If there are all zeros, the file is useless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All zeros, so useless. The question rise again: why are recovered files not readable?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where did you recover it from? Windows system disk?
    SD card?
    What was the file size?
    If you continue to write to the drive where the file was deleted
    It's probably overwritten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was recovered from the Window system disk (C) map "Videos". My recovery program is installed on another partition (D) to prevent overwrite. The file size is 690MB. Direct after deleting out of the map "Video" I have also cleaned the recycle bin.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows is constantly writing to it's system disk.
    Could easily be overwritten by now.
    What undelete program did you try? Perhaps give Photorec a try
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried different recovery programs and they all gave me less satisfaction. I trie now Photorec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sure hope you are working with a copy of an image file of the storage volume in question, and NOT on the original image file, and ESPECIALLY NOT on the original storage volume...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Sure hope you are working with a copy of an image file of the storage volume in question, and NOT on the original image file, and ESPECIALLY NOT on the original storage volume...

Scott
    Do you have any recommendation on a tool to create such an image?
    DD in Linux ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I convert a dvd-file, that was download on the C downloadmap, to an avi or mkv. To proof the recovery program works, I delete the avi or mkv file and clean the recycle bin. Then I tried to get back the deleted file, but it never works. What do I wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your file is deleted so there's now way you can get back the original file,it's been over written.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's hard to say, I tried something similar on a 30gb data partition using two different recovery programs and they were able to find and successfully restore a 700mb file that I had deleted from the recycle bin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe it is better that I convert the dvd to another partition D? or to an extern disk? My recovery program is installed on the D partition.
    The big problem is: even when I can recover a media file correct, I can't play it. The file seems always to be corrupt.
    Why?
    Last edited by JEG41; 5th May 2022 at 03:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried again to recover an avi file. I put it on my D partition (about 1000GB) and deleted it direct and cleaned the recyle bin. Then I used recuva and could recover the file correct.
    But again it can't play. The hex editor give all zeros. It is very frustrated that the file is correct recovered but can't play. What could be the cause?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You appear to be confused with recovery proceedure.

Even if you install a program on a drive which is not the OS drive some info is still written to the OS drive which itself can partially over-write what you are attempting to recover

You should NEVER attempt to recover a file to the same drive that it was deleted from. The attempted recover will be over-writing the data on that drive and it is always last data out = first data in. That means that the very file you are attempting to recover is being over-written by the data of the new file.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by JEG41 View Post
    IWhat could be the cause?
    What have you found on how files are stored in different file systems and how or whether they can be recovered after being deleted?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thks for all your information. It is and stays a great problem to recover deleted files.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did try a scenario on my Windows system disk,
    Two movie files copied in from elsewhere, then deleted.
    Recuva was able to "see" them only after a "deep" scan.
    Restored both to a 2nd drive, one was fully recovered while the other only partially (started to play and then froze/corrupted)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I said "It is and stays a great problem to recover deleted files."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Either you are not reading what is written or you are not understanding what is written.

So here are the most simple solutions for you.

1. Think twice before you delete.
    2. If you still delete and, instantly, realise that you deleted in error then immediatley restore the deleted file - it should be in your recycle bin then but failing that follow the instructions already given.
    3. Acquire an external HDD and a backup program and do regular backups of the folders you consider most critical to you. Then if you have deleted a file in error it can still be recovered from the backup.

BTW If you are using 'free' versions of programs there is always a catch. Even paid-for versions can not always recover as I found out to my own cost some years ago.

Just bleating about your issues is not going to help you. You really must step back and think logically of what you are doing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thks DB83.
    Quote Quote