VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone.

For the last few months I've been trying to restore a 4th generation videotape with a very low quality transfer. Sadly, it isn't possible to get a new one so I have to work with what I have. Anyway, the biggest problem this videotape has , in my eyes, is the presence of large black halos and aberration on edges, probably caused by edge enhancements and the fact that it is 4th generation.

I've tried several filters on VirtualDub and Avisynth to fix this (i.e. Ghost Removers, Levels, etc.) and only recently I managed to fix most if not all of it. Here's a comparison:

https://imgur.com/a/9uW9Aox

However, doing this generates lots of chroma bleeding that thankfully isn't as annoying to deal with as the black haloing before, but it still needs to be fixed.

My question is, is there a better way to approach this type of haloing? if not, is there a way to fix all of the chroma bleeding left?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post a short clip of your source (15 seconds or more) that shows the problems to this thread and somebody will take a look
    Quote Quote  
  3. Here's a minute and a half of the footage in question, cleaned up from noise and blocking:

EDIT: Sample posted in comment below.
    Last edited by ghostfromsparta; 16th Jun 2021 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would be easier just to upload the video here,there's a 500mB maximum file size.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also post the source, if you're looks for Avisynth suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  6. Here's the sample:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. just by the screenshots LGhost might be worth a try,..
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  8. Just viewing it, I'd guess they'd become less noticeable once you get the black levels adjusted?
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by TimA-C View Post
    Just viewing it, I'd guess they'd become less noticeable once you get the black levels adjusted?
    Thanks for your reply!

I've got pretty results by limiting the Y levels, but it's been hard to hit a sweet spot where I can get fix the black halos without losing important details. I know those levels are the most f*cked up on this tape, but I'm absolutely sure it is fixable.
    Quote Quote