VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I have a relatively new business that offers services to convert VHS and VHS-C to digital video. I was looking online on how to reduce video flickering, then began thinking I need to purchase a new adapter, then I stumbled on a thread on this forum in which someone said not to use a VHS adapter because it will possibly eat the tape, and that professional services don't use such a DIY method. I'm brand new to the advanced weeds of video technology, so most terminology I saw on that thread and a few others I tried reading went over my head, more than I was comfortable. Obviously, since I own a business, I am a bit anxious that I now offer this service in a massive cloud of ignorance. Can someone give me some basic advice/tips on how to do VHS-C to digital conversion in a more professional capacity, with low risk of messing up a client's tape? In the meantime I will keep reading the guides and other threads on here to educate myself better.

For context, currently, I'm using a Toshiba 4Head Hi-Fi VHS player with a VCA115 Cassette Adapter tape, both hand-me-downs from my parents, which I'm using at least until I get a solid feel for the conversion process. I also use the ClearClick Video2Digital 2.0 converter that I recently bought to convert to digital. Pros, please don't cringe too hard at me! TIA!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think you should have a little bit more experience before you start butchering customers tapes with low quality equipment made for home use, which is okay for practicing but not suitable for business use. Once you have some experience doing it then come back here for advice on the right equipment.
    Do you feel comfortable a mechanic with zero experience using a pair of players a hammer and a pry bar to work on your timing belt?

Never the less, JVC motorized adapters are okay for VHS-C tapes, I've been using one for over a decade not a single incident, Just make sure the batteries are good to fully lace the tape. The model you have appear to be a JVC clone which should work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ++++++1

STOP!

Don't, repeat Don't start learning with customers tapes that may have only one play left in them!!!

Read and thoroughly digest this article digitalfaq.com/editorials/digital-video/professional-analog-workflow.htm until you firmly understand why what you're doing if completely wrong. Then, don't just read, but experiment with your own tapes until you fully understand the ins and outs of the process.

I can't emphasize how wrong you are to take any money for the terrible service and quality you're providing!
    Quote Quote  
  4. "Video flickering?" You should post a 10-15 second sample. You should not be getting flickering of any kind. The adapter shouldn't cause such an artifact, but until I can see what the "flicker" actually looks like, it will be tough to pinpoint the cause.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    He probably means de-interlacing, At least he admitted he is a newbie, There are a lot of people out there ripping other people off even at the scale of Legacy Box.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem. I have not dared to look at my old VHS-C tapes yet. The mold issue may be a huge deal.
    I wonder what the 'professional' services use to convert VHS to digital?
    There is someone on YouTube who offers to remove mold from VHS tapes for $20 each using some machine and also opening an cleaning the insides of the cassette.
    There are 3x as many cassettes for VHS-C per hour compared to VHS which is a bummer.
    Quote Quote