VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm looking for a video conversion program, so I'd like the experts here what's the best one I could use.

I'm a webmaster, so my basic need is to convert any format into the following 3 formats:
    - WEBM using VP9 codec
    - OGV
    - MP4 using H264

Of course it wouldn't hurt if the program was free

Freemake offers almost everything I want with their "convert to html5" function, but their WEBM is only VP8 and not VP9.

Typically I will produce many versions of the same video, typically in 180p, 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p, and sometimes 1440p and 2160p.

Thank you for your suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did some reading on VP9 and I wonder if this conversion only works using hardware made for VP9 ?
    I got a trial version of VideoProc and it says my GTX 760 can't encode HEVC or VP9 ?

And I also see that AV1 has the same browser support as VP9 does, so conversion to AV1 would also be acceptable.

I'm a bit perplexed as to what I should do to be able to convert video files into one of these formats ? do I need another graphics card ?
    Last edited by manarak; 8th Jan 2022 at 02:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are loads of programs that can do that altough for streaming you'll need to spend a bit of time figuring out the best bitrates for diferent resolutions/formats or you could copy youtube bitrates and start from there, i wouldnt recomend using hardware encoders, use software encoders with 2 pass conversion to get better quality, in my opinion at low bitrates software encoders are better than hardware ones, my advice it use vidcoder because its simple to use and has a handy queue system that you can use to convert to several formats/resolutions in one go, in my usage vidcoder has a tendency to use video filters when thy're not needed (deinterlace etc) make sure to deselect them and then change format/resolution and start adding to queue and then convert...staxrip is also a excelent all in one converter but you would need more time setting up all the batch conversions.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, I will give both a try !

Batch jobs sound very attractive for me
    Quote Quote