VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I actually have a question.

So for some reason I can't use hardware acclearation, evertime I do the scren is just green, I think there are lines in it but I can't really tell. System files are okay, its not the codec and I've tried several and several different players, its also not the file or the type I've tried them too, also even refreshed my drivers. About the onlything I haven't tried is grabbing another drive and reloading the system.

The card is an ATI 4670
    OS is Vista SP2
    Players:, WMP 11, MPC-HC, VLC.Flash
    Codecs, Built in, FFDshow, MPC-HC video decoder, ATI's Codec, Flash
    h.264, mpeg2,vc-1
    Containers, .mp4,.ts,mpg,flv

I've been looking for answers and more things to try and so far I've run out of things to try... I haven't check 3d performance Tried Sega Rally 2 and Quake 3, booth worked well, to see if the card is just quitting on me but no error messages, nothing in the messages logs, system files check okay.
    Last edited by bigstusexy; 29th Jun 2010 at 20:34. Reason: Did some 3d testing, card is fine in that aspect
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It could be your XP OS

DXVA 2 is supported by Vista and Win7. In those machines, MPCHC auto detected DXVA on install (NVidia 7xxx and 9xxx cards).

DXVA is a subset of DirectShow. Have you installed DirectShow 9?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, the OS is Vista SP2, Direct X is appart of the system. DX version is 11
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Visit this page, and download Microsoft's web-based installer. It'll check your DirectX setup, and install/update... well, whatever needs installing or updating. For Vista/7, that includes DirectX 9 components, as Vista and 7 don't have them installed by default.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing it installs is the optional DX SDK updates, made no changes. DX is running and working well for things like 3D and Aero is working fine, I'm not having an issure persey of getting into 3d accleration its just that it does not produce an image. I'm wondering if its an Content protection/HDCP issue, I'm connected via DVI and I know that it should be able to do so. I have no idea how to check that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you have the latest WHQL certified drivers for your graphics card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigstusexy View Post
    The only thing it installs is the optional DX SDK updates, made no changes.
    Yeah, that's what it seemed to do when I used it 2-3 days ago - I updated MPC-HC on my sister's XP system, and MPC-HC then complained that one of the DX9 dlls wasn't there, so I ran the websetup. It claimed all it was installing was the SDK updates, but it did, in fact, install the necessary DX9 components as well.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like jagabo asked, check for latest drivers. You may also try Splash Lite or PRO, it supports DXVA without any configuration required and work fine on my ATI (5 series).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Also: are you sure your files are DXVA compatible? DXVA does not support all h.264 encoding options.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might also run DXVA Checker to see what it says about your DXVA setup: http://bluesky23.hp.infoseek.co.jp/en/index.html
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To all:

Hello, Sorry I've been working getting qutoes for Purchase Orders. yes I have the latest drives, I'll check out splash. This happens with MPC-HC, FFDshow, Flash and WMP I also think the Arcsoft codecs as well. For h.264,and VC-1 and I believe mpeg2. When it happens there is zero load on the computer so it thinks its acclerating it but it produces nothing but green.

the h.264 files that I used have been accelerated before just fine with this card and windows 7 I believe XP and Vista they come from my HDPVR, some were converted, the VC-1 file was found on the web, and the flv was via youtube, I forgot that flash 10.1 introduced hardware acceleration so I went to watch a video someone sent me and green, until I turned it off. I didn't say this before but I believe this not to be your typical codec, user / configuration issue I would have gotten it by now.

Now for DXVA checker, I ran that while I was looking at some information around the net... no clue how to use it other than read what it says I can accelerate. If I read it right I have support for mpeg2 (3 kinds IDCT A and C) h264/h264 flash, VC1 as well as tree unknown compressions as booth DXVA1 and 2

I could be wrong but I think MPC-HC only complains about missing the dx9 dlls when you use the directx 9 output I did see that and I think I did already apply the sdk to get rid of that error, however I have to use the EVR render for the dxva to kick in at all.

Hmmm seems like I never hit post. Well I tried removing a mirror driver, actually just disableled it not removed it. Didn't change things except now the vc1 file does not use dxva in windows media player it might try to and senses that it fails then renders it normally. Tried an HDMI cable instead of DVI incase it was a handshake issue, no change. its weird I might make some screen shots over the weekend, the bigger the resolution the dimmer the green. I might give up and just view HD on my other machine that the acceleration is working but it doesn't need it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is your GPU PCI or AGP.
    I know AGP is a history, but noone asked, but it could be a problem. Before testing player after player first check your hardware and drivers with DxvaChecker.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Card is PCI-E, I had stopped looking at the issue for a while but I was looking around last night and I noticed something odd, the the CCC it listed the Maximum Bus Bandwidth as 2.0 1x ... it should be 2.0 16x, so I'm currently trying to straighten that out, maybe its just that card stinks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. VLC works with fine with that card and XP, so I would expect it to work fine in Vista/W7/W8. Re-wipe and re-install.
    GPUZ should give info. mines like this
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4670.gif
Views:	3962
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	2748  

Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wipe isn't an option at this point, took me a few weeks to get everything on there and this system is the DVR so it's constantly in use. I did verify with GPUZ lastnight and it said the same thing but actually that is PCI-E 1x 1.1 I'm wondering if the card is not insertered physically I'll check that when I get home. Most everything matches except bandwidth and bios probably because of the Difference in memory type.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4670.gif
Views:	3731
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	2749  

Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Done and Done, once I got it back to x16 DXVA display came back with it. I was trying this guide for anyone that's effected http://forums.techarp.com/reviews-articles/23881-how-fix-pci-express-x1-bug-10.html

However it didn't solve my issues, what I ended up doing was moving the card to the second slot, which got it to x16, I moved it back to the first and along with moving some power cables and SATA cables I was back at x16 there too. No idea if the power and SATA cables were causing interference or if its just a weird issue with my board.
    Quote Quote