VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you've got more than media problems: 5 Verbatim and 20 Sony down the pan. That's two BIG brands you're having problems with.

What are the media codes?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  2. @rhegedus, fair enough man....i'm glad we can both see each other's points. Maybe if Verbatim was one of say 2 media companies in the world then maybe i'd handle it a different way. But fortunately, there are many other options which suit me better then Verbatim. I was just trying to bring light to the fact that this huge company is screwing people...across the country. Oh, and yea, no Capital Punishment discussions....lol...that would probably really strike a debate on this "Verbatim" post...and i'm all for CP too.

As far as solo goes...man...i'd like to know the manufacturer id of those Sony's which were bad.....is it possible that any of those could be CMC too? That would really be scary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed.

Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've only burned one disc from the 15 pack spindle of dvd+r and it worked fine. However indside of the shrink wrap is a fair amount of what looks like rat poo.
    Quote Quote  
  5. FYI, I figured out where my discs are coming from (mostly).

The Verbatims are MCC, the KHypers are CMC, the Sony +Rs are Ricoh, and the Sony -Rs are unreadable or report no manufacturer information, but were made in Austria. So, now I'm stumped.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok, I have bought 8 15 packs of Verbatim Data life plus DVD-Rs. I bought 5 packs from Buy.com , and 3 packs from IJB.com .

I have allready burned about 6 packs, and all work great. I checked all the packs, and the media code was the same for all of them: MCC 00..RG2 .

Where are you all getting your DVD's at? I have never seen the media code CMC on any DVD-R's I have bought.

I am going to stand behind Verbatim. They have not done me any wrong.

Viz
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "I bought 5 packs from Buy.com , and 3 packs from IJB.com ."

This is why you don't have CMC. Buy them at major stores at this time and chances are, you will get the CMC Verbatims. I have also purchased them at Buy.com and have gotten the MMC Verbatims just like you, so Buy.com is good chance you'll get the right ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    However indside of the shrink wrap is a fair amount of what looks like rat poo
    I hope they're MCC
    because if they're CMC they might be SARS bearing discs
    Quote Quote  
  9. I finally decided to go through all my Verbatim disks and find which ones were MCC and which were CMC. I went through the DVD-R's which look EXACTLY the same. I know all the DVD+R's were MCC disks, but I decided to find how many in each of the last spindles I purchased from OFFICE DEPOT were MCC disks.

I had to just to make sure I wasn't seeing things....it wouldn't be difficult to think you saw MCC and say it was CMC or vice versa, but the problem was I know CMC disks...they have that ...MAG listing and these didn't...so I'm going through all these 1 by1 and finally found a RARE couple of DVD-R disks with the MCC branding.

Here's the media code...I knew I wasn't goin' crazy.

00 6A 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 87 0D 13 .J...@....P.....
    88 99 80 00 03 4D 43 43 20 30 30 00 04 52 47 32 .....MCC 00..RG2
    30 30 20 00 05 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 .............
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hey I dont mean to go off topic but are the verbatim CDRs having these issues as well? They were always awesome quality I only stopped buying them and switched to TDK CDRs because they were slightly cheaper.

Are these issues limited to DVD media or all their media? This is really sad for Verbatim. They were really great.
    A bird in the hand is worth a foot in the tush-Kelly Bundy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devinemi83
    Hey I dont mean to go off topic but are the verbatim CDRs having these issues as well? They were always awesome quality I only stopped buying them and switched to TDK CDRs because they were slightly cheaper.

Are these issues limited to DVD media or all their media? This is really sad for Verbatim. They were really great.
    I got some that were bought from Sam's Club, Verbatim branded, 48x CD-R. CMC.

I've also bought some TDK, that were red, white, and blue (flag design) that were CMC. I've also seen Verbatim, and TDK, made by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, and MCC. Not sure which was which though.

I just get Taiyo Yudens $28/100 from Rima now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If everything on the face of this planet that was manufactored was manufactored by Taiyo-Yuden then EVERYTHING would work the way it should and last

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  13. I recently bought 25 pack of Memorex 4x DVD+R's and none of the three I have burned work in either my standalone or PC DVD player. I burned them with my Ricoh RW5125a 1.64 firmware drive and the label reads CMC MAG. I have just purchased 3 4x Verbatim DVD+R's from Buy.com to try out on my burner. Will check the manufacturer on all three first, however. Have never had any problems with any 2.4x +R or +RW media on the drive.
    The Memorex was on sale 28.50 for 25 at Amazon.com. Bestbuy and other places also had it on sale. No wonder if it was all CMC Mag's.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by disturbed1
    Originally Posted by devinemi83
    Hey I dont mean to go off topic but are the verbatim CDRs having these issues as well? They were always awesome quality I only stopped buying them and switched to TDK CDRs because they were slightly cheaper.

I got some that were bought from Sam's Club, Verbatim branded, 48x CD-R. CMC.

I've also bought some TDK, that were red, white, and blue (flag design) that were CMC. I've also seen Verbatim, and TDK, made by Taiyo Yuden, Ritek, and MCC. Not sure which was which though.

I just get Taiyo Yudens $28/100 from Rima now.

Damn. The TDKs I buy are the ones with a silver/near transluscent(sp?) 3 dot pattern they are 48x rated and they have the media code 97m15s17f and its the same as my previous group of 32x cdrs and they trace back to ritek and are VERY good quality. The last spindle of Verbtaims were made by mitsubishi 24x DataLifePlus.

This is pissing me off, it used to be you just stuck with the good name brands and you knew you got quality, now they just buy the cheap stuff and put their name on it and hit the mark up button I just hope TDK doesnt take a dive.
    A bird in the hand is worth a foot in the tush-Kelly Bundy
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I read this thread I was surprised about the problems that people had been having with Verbatim because I'd always thought them to be a good brand ... that was until I got two thirds of the way through a 25 pack that I bought from Maplin Electronics here in the UK!!!!!

Although they burned perfectly @ 2X on my Pioneer DVR106D, with Nero 6.3 or ImgTool Classic, I subsequently discovered that the last three DVDs I had burned were practically unreadable over the last 25 minutes of the disk; I tried them in five different DVD players and none of them could reliably play the ends of the films. In my laptop's DVD-ROM drive it wasn't even possible to copy the final VOB off the disk because of read errors. In fact, they could ONLY be properly read back on another DVD Rewriter (either the Pioneer 106 or the Pikaone I have in my second PC)

By re-burning the material onto DVD+R (in this case Packard Bell branded media bought in a hurry from PC World) - no problems at all.

Even worse, now I am down to the last five disks and the last three have completely failed to burn at all, throwing a "Bad Media" error. I noticed that in the Nero log the disks were identified as being CMC manufactured.

After this experience, I will never EVER buy Verbatim media again, and I would warn anyone in the UK to be very careful before buying the 25 pack spindles from Maplin. I'm not saying they're all like it, but if this thread is anything to go by there is good reason to be cautious!

Also - it's worth remembering that just because a DVD burns without errors and at first glance plays back OK, even when you skip over all the chapters, that doesn't mean it's actually any good, and you won't find out until you sit down to watch it all the way through!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by acanthis
    Also - it's worth remembering that just because a DVD burns without errors and at first glance plays back OK, even when you skip over all the chapters, that doesn't mean it's actually any good, and you won't find out until you sit down to watch it all the way through!
    This is why I use DVDInfoPro to run a READ ERROR TEST on every DVD-R that I burn. If it has ZERO READ ERRORS then I know that I am "safe".

Good thing to run the test before you delete your ISO file!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Just going to restate something said many times in this thread. If you are going to use Verbatim dvd's, get the ones from Singapore or Japan. I've used many spindles of their MCC disks out of Singapore without any issues.

The disks out of Taiwan are a crap shoot on quality. But that is true of most of the brand names.
    Quote Quote