VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's a good brand/model for dual-layer BD-Rs? I use Verbatim BD-Rs for 25 GB discs, is that company good for dl too? I also tried a TDK one and it failed to verify in ImgBurn at @50% on every disk I tried to use, so I want to make sure I get a good brand this time (since they also cost a lot more than 25 gb BD-Rs). Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    "it's a me Mario"

(Super Mario 64)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Verbatim should be fine.

Unfortunately, FTI Falcon doesn't seem to have a 50gb version available anymore, and while Panasonic gets very high marks with their single layer blu ray, I haven't heard much about their DL blu ray discs. At $16 apiece, I'm not sure why anyone would buy them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I ONLY use Verbatim BluRay discs any more, whether single layer, dual layer or re-writable. They work on everything I have. Taiyo Yuden, who makes great CD and DVD media, makes BD-R LTH discs, but the current ones aren't as good as the ones they made 2-3 years ago and some of my players don't like them at all. TY doesn't make any DL or re-writable BluRay discs. I bought some TDK BD discs once - won't do that again. I failed to do my research and I bought some imported from Japan and was shocked to find that they use crap Ritek to make them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a good Verbatim dl bd-r?

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Blu-ray-Disc-pcs-Spindle/dp/B0056DV0L4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_p...=IMIONRTMSQV1X

It seems to ship from Japan and has Mitsubishi on the spindle also, so I'm a little hesitant to buy it. I couldn't find any other Verbatim dl bd-r products on Amazon, so I'm guessing this one is the correct one to get. I'm a bit nervous though, since the TDK discs I got from Japan were horrible and failed to verify every time. Any help with this stuff would be greatly appreciated. It's @ $150 for the 50 disc spindle (and @ $80 for the 20 disc) on Amazon, so I need to be absolutely sure that this is a good item to get.

Thanks.
    "it's a me Mario"

(Super Mario 64)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Gah, delete.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KingKRool2002 View Post
    Is this a good Verbatim dl bd-r?

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Blu-ray-Disc-pcs-Spindle/dp/B0056DV0L4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_p...=IMIONRTMSQV1X

It seems to ship from Japan and has Mitsubishi on the spindle also, so I'm a little hesitant to buy it. I couldn't find any other Verbatim dl bd-r products on Amazon, so I'm guessing this one is the correct one to get. I'm a bit nervous though, since the TDK discs I got from Japan were horrible and failed to verify every time. Any help with this stuff would be greatly appreciated. It's @ $150 for the 50 disc spindle (and @ $80 for the 20 disc) on Amazon, so I need to be absolutely sure that this is a good item to get.

Thanks.
    Amazon also sells these directly: http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97335-Blu-ray-Recordable-10-Disc/dp/B004CJ9KYC/ref=sr_1...=verbatim+50gb They are slightly more than twice the price per disc, but they have free shipping and you don't have to wait for them to arrive from Japan.

Verbatim's blu ray discs are made by CMC Magnetics in Taiwan, to Mitsubishi standards. This is not unusual, as many of Verbatim's discs are outsourced for production and only a few discs are actually made in the Mitsubishi plant in Singapore.

TDK at one time was making their own blu ray discs, but they got out of this business several years ago and simply put their brand name on discs made by other manufacturers, especially Ritek. FTI Falcon bought the right to use the original TDK designs, and their discs are excellent quality, but as I said earlier, they seem to have stopped selling the 50gb version. I couldn't find any examples of them. The Smart Blu discs sold at Media Mega Mall are usually FTI Falcon, but not the DL Blu ray.
    Quote Quote