VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I am new to the forum, I kind a started using ffmpegX with my Mac so far. This evening I had the problem, that the conversion of a VOB File (Part of a VIDEO-TS folder) stops at 9.50 min (the original lenght is 18 mins).

If I try to open the VIDEO-TS-Folder with ffmpegX I cannot preview it and also cannot decode it. The Conversion-process only works with the VOB-Files in the folder.

Does anyone have a clue? Did I install ffmpegX correct?

Thanks!

Sven
    Carpe Diem!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some engines seem to work better than others on VOB files. Are you willing to try to convert to a DivX file? You'll likely get better results. There is probably a time-code issue on the DVD rip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Fly Eagle
    the conversion of a VOB File stops at 9.50 min (the original lenght is 18 mins).
    Possibly you ripped a DVD that had deliberate bad sectors as copy protection. Or possibly the file had a corrupt MPEG GOP which cannot be parsed. Or there is a timecode break that needs fixing.

If I try to open the VIDEO-TS-Folder with ffmpegX I cannot preview it and also cannot decode it.
    The [Play]-button should be able to let mplayer play the VIDEO_TS folder. The upper-right [Preview]-button is only to preview the conversion output while the conversion is still in progress.

The Conversion-process only works with the VOB-Files in the folder.
    The mencoder engine is able to convert directly from VIDEO_TS folders. So give it a try with the H.264 mencoder preset (note that its output isn't iPod compatible).
    If you want to convert with any ffmpeg preset, then first join the VOBs of the Video Title Set that you want, into a single big VOB file.
    Quote Quote