VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to create a video tutorial using powerpoint slides with talking fact at the bottom left of screen.
    i have used sony vegas on windows machine in the past but having sync probs and huge file sizes etc for 12 min video.
    Plus low to mediocre video quality renders.

what's the best way to do this?

thanks
    George
    Quote Quote  
  2. Vegas is the correct tool. If the results are fuzzy, use pan/crop to resize each video. Do NOT use track motion to resize and move the two videos because it resizes before any resizing that you do when rendering, and therefore you end up re-sizing a video that has already been re-sized. The hit on quality can often be absolutely gigantic.

IMHO, there is no better tool to do what you are doing than Vegas.

[edit]Quoting from myself in the old Vegas forum from many years ago (I said things better back then):

In general, NEVER use track motion to zoom photos. Why? Because Vegas first downsamples the photo to project resolution and then zooms into the photo if you use track motion. By contrast, if you zoom using the pan/crop control in the event, Vegas starts with the full resolution of the photo, and then zooms into that. The difference between these two things can be ENORMOUS: it is not subtle at all.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi John, Thanks fro the reply
    My big prob is that the 2 tracks (audio and video) i have in Vegas, are not in synchronisation and it is very poor result trying to shuffle them along to sync. up

So here is the rendering choices:https://www.screencast.com/t/mlirvvdo
    Any suggestions most welcome
    thaks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Please describe your process in greater detail. Why is it not in sync? How are you capturing/recording the images?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by georgiefame99 View Post
    Hi John, Thanks fro the reply
    My big prob is that the 2 tracks (audio and video) i have in Vegas, are not in synchronisation and it is very poor result trying to shuffle them along to sync. up

So here is the rendering choices:https://www.screencast.com/t/mlirvvdo
    Any suggestions most welcome
    thaks
    Those are just rendering options. If you choose too low a resolution or bitrate, the results will be degraded.

However, you are saying that the sync problem is more of an issue than the quality. I agree that you need to provide more information on the audio/video sync.

Is it out of sync throughout the video? Or, is it only out of sync in certain parts, but fine elsewhere? Does it get progressive more out of sync later in the file?

Each of these three descriptions has a different cause and each is best solved using different solutions. The middle one is the most time-consuming to deal with. In general, you ungroup the audio and video; you then move the audio back and forth on the timeline until the audio is in sync (lots of little tricks on how to do that); you then re-group. If the audio gets progressively more out of sync, you stretch or shrink the audio before regrouping.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Logi web camera records video
    Mic connected directly to my CPU
    Logitech split screen program allows small talking head lower left
    and desktop background
    https://www.screencast.com/t/nOsWp8nq3W2R

Output taken to vegas with 2 tracks which are out of sync
    Quote Quote  
  7. If the audio and video are taken on two different devices they will be out of sync. Absolutely no surprise there. You simply have to line them up.

I'm actually now not sure what you're asking.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So can you recommend software that will do that sync matching up all in 1 package? so that i don't have to try it manually.
    i.e. that can take the sources from 2 different devices?
    Quote Quote  
  9. What i'm trying to produce is a series of slides on a video with a talking head at the foot
    Quote Quote  
  10. You can automatically sync multiple videos of the same event, taken with multiple cameras. PluralEyes does that.

However, I don't think that software exists that would figure out how to sync audio with video. The reason is that for most videos there is no clue in the video as to what audio should be there, and how it should be aligned. Even when you have a talking head and want to sync lip movement, there is no way to do it automatically. The only way I know how to do it is manually: you usually listen for words where the lips come together as the word is spoken. Think "Peter Piper picked a peck ..." Those "P's" are easy to spot on the audio waveform and you line them up with the frame where the person's lips come together.

The web is full of tutorials on how to do this.
    Quote Quote