VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a test I tried ripping a dvd using Xmedia Recode. I used the 'Copy' mode. The result was a whopping file, over 3gb in size and the picture was breaking up / degraded!
    Yet others online suggest that Xmedia Recode can rip 'protected' dvd's.
    If so, what am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends how one defines 'rip'

On these pages it means a bit for bit transfer/copy of all folders and files from the dvd. Do that on a protected dvd without a decrypter and you will get picture break-up.

But a newer translation of 'dvd-rip' means transcoding to another codec etc. In other words a re-encode.

No idea how this 'one-click' program does it but there really should be some help system.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The XMedia Recode website specifically states that- XMedia Recode can only convert unprotected Blu-rays or DVDs.
    If you wish to use XMedia Recode to transcode video or audio to another format you must first copy the dvd to your hard drive with a decrypter; DVDSmith is free and will do that for you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flips61 View Post
    The XMedia Recode website specifically states that- XMedia Recode can only convert unprotected Blu-rays or DVDs.
    If you wish to use XMedia Recode to transcode video or audio to another format you must first copy the dvd to your hard drive with a decrypter; DVDSmith is free and will do that for you.
    So can the free version of DVDFab (at least for older discs) and MakeMKV. Both highly recommended, used and reviewed than DVDSmith or most other semi-obscure programs. And you'll get much more support here because posters are familiar with it. Once ripped, the OP can use other, better programs like Handbrake to re-encode.

Also, at the OP, what disc are your trying to rip? If it's a new release, it may have an new version of protection that your program is choking on.

Finally as DB83 stated, the original (and to me and many others) a RIP is only one then, the first definition he gave, an exact bit for bit copy of the original disc contents (less the copy and region restrictions).

Edit: I'm not really one always "Follow the crowd", but when it comes to DVD/Blu-Ray ripping and encoding, it's best to use what the majority here do. DVDFab, MakeMKV, AnyDVD (which is not free) for ripping and Handbrake (for ease of use) for encoding. It's been said hundreds of times and will be said hundreds more, that for best performance, compatibility and quality, no All In One solution is better than dedicated programs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for writing and for all of your help.
    I have this day learned that Freemake Video Converter, (which used to be free), is also capable of copy/converting dvd's to mp4; avi; flv and mpeg2.
    Quote Quote