VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here but I'm new to the DVD-burning side of things.

Hardware I'm using:
    Samsung DVD-Rom SD616t (read only)
    NEC DVD-RW ND-3520A (writer)
    Skyworth DVD-3650 (standalone player)
    Infiniti DVD+R blank dvds

Software I'm using:
    Windows XP sp1
    Nero Burning Rom v6.0.0.0
    DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15

The problem I'm having:
    I got the NEC just today. No drivers, no leads. So I simply opened up my comp and removed my old CD-RW drive and put the DVD-RW in. In Windows PnP tradition, it works fine... in itself.

I used Nero to backup some video files from my HDD, it burned the disc fine at 8x, and the disc plays back fine in the NEC and my Skyworth DVD player (so I can watch them through the telly). The problem is, my Samsung doesn't seem to recognise the disc at all. It just says there's no disc in there.

I've since burned a data-only disc and a proper 'movie' disc all with the same result. I've checked Nero for a 'finalise' button, but it seems to do that anyway. So I'm not sure if the problem is with Nero or my Samsung drive (which works with all other discs by the way).

Any ideas folks?

I know it's not life-or-death. I can use the NEC to read any discs I've burned, but it means I can't then put that disc into the Samsung if I want to make copies of it.

Cheers in advance...
    B.
    Sex. Golf. Jedi Academy.
    3 things you can enjoy without being ANY good at!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried posting at CD Freaks yet? Here's the NEC Forum:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

You probably should read up on available firmware as well.

[EDIT] I believe you can bitset +Rs with that drive, again, the NEC forum is the place to go.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. probably your samsung can't read + media. it looks like e perfect burn to me
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yup, it seems to be down to the discs. Maybe I've just never come across +R discs before, ah well.

I burned a CD-R last night out of interest, and the samsung picked it up fine. So I popped out this morning and got a few -R discs, which it also picks up fine.

So it would appear that +R's are the work of the devil. I've got no problem with that It's only come about because I got a tub with the drive, otherwise I guess I'd have found out later.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions, appreciate it muchly!

B.
    Sex. Golf. Jedi Academy.
    3 things you can enjoy without being ANY good at!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your Samsung drive will read the DVD+Rs fine if you burn them with DVD-ROM book type.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can go here to get firmware that will allow bitsetting for the NEC. This increases the compatibility of +R discs.

http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  7. i had the same problem too...but my dvd burners dont have bitsetting capability....

I suppose I could buy +R disks and buy a new burner....but its much easier just getting the -r disk.

funny thing is that the -r disks work on my magnavox which is rated only for +r disks and other units. I found -r to be very compadible.

yes, bitsetting is suppose to me more compadible....but I notice whenever there is sale of dvd...the -r are gone first.
    Quote Quote