VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used to hardcode subtitles (foreign language parts) into my XVID videos using AVI Recomp.

With the SSA format, the program allowed me to specify the font type and size as well as the positioning, is there anything similar with MKV video or is SRT and however the media player decides to choose for formatting?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can both hardcode or embed SSA subs into a video to be put into an MKV container.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You can both hardcode or embed SSA subs into a video to be put into an MKV container.
    How do you hardcode?

I presume with the embed, MKV Merge would simply do the trick.

Any software I need to format the text?

Oh, do you mean use AVI Recomp as I used to, and then import it to MKV?

Any MKV specific tools...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by pizzaboyUK View Post
    How do you hardcode?
    How do I hardcode? I don't. But if I were, I'd put the subs into an AviSynth script and open it in Ripbot264 and let it take take it from there. Or, if you,prefer, RipBot and other programs can open SSA subs separately. But many programs can hardcode SSA subs. As for embedding, yes, I use MKVMerge GUI.
    Any software I need to format the text?
    I use Substation Alpha. But other programs can do it or, if you know what you're doing, you can set the styles in Notepad.
    Oh, do you mean use AVI Recomp as I used to, and then import it to MKV?
    I've never used AVIRecomp in my life.
    Any MKV specific tools...
    I use Ripbot or XviD4PSP but, as I said, there are many.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any software I need to format the text?
    Subtitle Edit and Aegisub can convert .srt to .ass.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming your media player can handle mkv files with embedded ass subtitles you can use Aegisub to format and position your ass or ssa subs then use mkvmergegui to put them in the mkv container with the audio and video. In mkvmergegui you can default and set the force flag. Whether your media player respects the flags will depend on if they are shown by default. The Popcorn C200 does for example. Otherwise if you want to actually burn them into the videostream you will have to do that in another program.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Subtitle Edit and Aegisub can convert .srt to .ass.
    I'm already using Subtitle Workshop to edit the subs - does a pretty good job...

Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    you can use Aegisub to format and position your ass or ssa subs
    So, you can format and position subs without having to hardcode them?!?! Looking into this right away!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!