VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, new to this and my first post. I have been asked to video a corporate presentation event which will include Q and A. What I normally do for this type of work is take along my g3 and g4 kits and patch into the existing AV set up (which invariably is Sennheiser) by matching the frequencies so I can wirelessly record straight into my camera. I’ve just learnt that this upcoming venue use Speechline mics which I believe has a different set up as in auto frequency finder. Therefore am I still able to patch in to their system in the aforementioned way? Thanks. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks. Shed7
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Even if you could pin down the frequency bands being used, you would still not be able to do that scenario, because most audio manufacturers are proprietary when it comes to how they use those bands - modulation, compression/encoding, protocol, etc. Which means you would HAVE to have a matching receiver (each) to whatever model family they are using as transmitters!

My suggestion: if they use a mixer board prior to feeding the PA, take a tap from it and put one of your Sennheiser transmitters on that (making sure you match mic/line levels properly).

Another option is to double up mics. They use theirs, you use yours, each of the primary talent gets 2 mics. As long as frequencies don't overlap it should be ok, even if a little bulkier. Stand up for yourself and don't let them put baby in the corner. Sounds a little pushy, but pros do this all the time if they cannot agree on mutual systems.

3rd option that comes to mind, especially if they are calling the shots and you have little power/say in pre-pro, is to just rent duplicates of their model receivers.

1st one is preferred, as it duplicates the main house mix without adding too much to the setup. And many venues will already have a dedicated "press box", which is simply a DA meant for multiple taps for scenarios just like this.

Scott
    Quote Quote