VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

Naturally, I searched this forum for an answer to my question before taking the time to make my own thread, and I actually found a person looking for an answer to the exact same question I was looking to have answered around 10 years ago - except the old moderator Baldrick chose to close the thread before an answer could be given, then referred to a so-called 'similar thread' which in fact was not even remotely answering the same question. That same user re-asked his question of merging .ass files and in the end had to do it in SubtitleWorkshop and obviously ran into the problem of styling - that's kind of a big issue for me. I'm not in a position where I can just casually restyle the text after merging the two files because one of these files is karaoke subtitling.

In summary, I'd like to ask if anyone knows how to take one .ass file (with completely different timecodes) and merge it with another within Aegisub to ensure that styling is maintained. The reason why I need this is because the karaoke subtitling was done by someone else in its own file and needs to be added to the first .ass I made. Extensive google searching has led me to believe that no such functionality exists within Aegisub, but I find that to be extremely bizarre - a simple "import .ass" into an .ass already open within Aegisub is all I really need. If this is actually not possible then my only option is probably going to be hardcoding the karaoke into the video then softcoding the rest, which I would very much like to avoid.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are you looking for an automated way or just a (manual) tutorial on how to do it at all?

I would probably open both scripts (let's call them A and B) in separate Aegisub instances. Open the styles managers for each. Then in B's styles manager rename all styles that have a name that is also used in A (make Aegisub change all instances of the style in B). Then in A's styles manager "Import from Script" B. Then leave Styles Managers from both. For B press ctrl+a followed by ctrl+c (mark all lines, then copy to clipboard). Then in A do ctrl+v (paste from clipboard). Save A and that should be it, I think.

I haven't tested it but the seems to be a python script to do this automatically: https://github.com/rysmarie/Aegisub_merger
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes! This kind of solution is exactly what I needed. I just needed to get my head around the logic of Aegisub; being able to ctrl c + v lines across files like this is something I didn't even think of trying, and setting up the styles manually isn't at all time consuming when making use of the import function within styles manager. Thank you very much for that, Sneaker.
    Last edited by Draculestia; 5th Mar 2019 at 06:10.
    Quote Quote