VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can VirtualDub cap in DV format like my Mediastudio pro caps off my Canopus ADVC-100 cap card which is DV.... i been looking forever..

All I want is to cap in segments... mediastudio pro has a minimum of 100 megs and I need a program like vdub that can be like 10 megs or so... if anyone please has a codec or driver for vdub for dv please let know, if noit a program that can let me cap in 10meg/segments for VCD mpeg-1, thnxs alot
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if noit a program that can let me cap in 10meg/segments for VCD mpeg-1, thnxs alot
    Can you tell us what is it that you want to do in the end, and why it's important to capture in small segments???

BTW, the answer is no....If you've got a Canopus, then try DVIO or Scenelyzer...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Because in segments I can encode and cap at the same time so I can have my video encoded and ready by the time im done capping... I archive alot of stuff and this is the best way of doing so.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think in ScenalyserLive you can capture in segments.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I got it.... but dont see any segment preparations there....

I figured out another way, which is cap raw avi from that card... the min size it lets me input is 100 megs, wether it is direct to mpeg or avi (dvd resolution). With mpeg-1 (vcd) 100 megs would be 10 min of footage, and 100 megs of avi is about 32 seconds worth.... but that wont work cause see now I need to see if MediaStudio can actually cap in a custom format... I tried everything, it lets me choose VCD and DVD, when i goto custom, only lets me change the bitrate and audio options, but i need to change resoltion, as capping 1 min of .avi (dvd resolution) would equal about 216 megs and thatll take 1.5 minutes to encode, reducing the resolution will get the advantage of encdin realtime which is what I need. err not soo many program variable for DV...and yes DV is the best cap analogue out there ffs ...... well hpe to hear more feedback from u locos out there thnx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are 100meg chunks that big a problem? with DV 100 megs doesn't quite cover 30 seconds.
    Quote Quote  
  7. well the problem is a 1 min avi (216 megs) wont encode to vcd in 1 minute, itll take 1:30....
    Quote Quote  
  8. I don't exactly follow what you're trying to do- but keep in mind that realtime mpeg encoding via software (which is what I think you want) is probably your lowest quality option out there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Use huffyuv. about 1/2 to 1/3 the size ofr uncompressed raw avi. huffyuv is lossess, and everybit as good as uncompressed. Just smaller
    Quote Quote  
  10. let me try to explain what Im trying to do..

I own a canopus advc-100 dv capture card, and yes its external.

VirtualDub wont recognize the feed whatsoever because its DV. I use Mediastudio Pro to capture which recognizes it aswell as other programs such as DVIO and Premiere. Unfortunately what Im trying to do doesnt quiete work with any of the programs Iv tried and read about. In mediastudio pro the min multi-segment capture size is 100, wether its direct mpeg or raw avi (DV Codec file)....

Heres the specs:
    ----------------------
    100meg direct mpeg file = 10 minutes of video
    216meg .AVI (codec) = 1 min of the video

Heres what Im tryin to do:
    ---------------------------------
    My PC 2.4gz can handle encode while capping, and yes I can encode in realtime if not faster if I can manage to lower the resolution of the avi cap (720*480) to about 640*480.....

My goal is not to encode while capping because my direct-to-mpegs looks pretty damn nice as it is, but like I stated before, the problem is that its set to 100megs minimum = 10, and I need to cap in 10meg/segment, not 100.... you see where Im going with this?..... I just wanted to know if there was a program out there that can cap in 10meg/segments, iv tried other ones and it simply either doesnt have it..... or it transcodes, meaning when I stop the cap after a certain time I decide to stop it, it transcode and there it starts making the mpegs (not useful for me)

well I hope that answers your quesion(s) and i hope i can get an answer, im very surprised vdub doesnt have a addon to this.... or something out there, heh....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But ten megs of DV AVI is less than three seconds, why would you need chunks that small?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well thats because I need 10 megs of MPEG, not AVI....

the program can only do 100 megs min, cant find anyother that can direct with mpeg on 10meg files except fro VirtualDub , but that doesnt support DV, so im stuck on this
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Because in segments I can encode and cap at the same time so I can have my video encoded and ready by the time im done capping
    My goal is not to encode while capping because my direct-to-mpegs looks pretty damn nice as it is, but like I stated before, the problem is that its set to 100megs minimum = 10, and I need to cap in 10meg/segment
    This is all confusing, if not contradictory...Your method is very unOrthodox, but i think i know what you're getting at...
    Why don't you a) capture directly to MPEG1, or b)capture the entire .AVI, keep what you want, and encode to Tmpgenc...
    Since your machine gets you real time encodes like you say, go to bed and let your computer crunch overnight..IT's an extra step, but in the long run, a lot less hassle..
    Why would you tax your system so heavily??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but last time i looked Vdub doesn't encode to MPEG.....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Its not an un-orthodox and complex situation, i am expressing myself totally diff because im getting confused as to what u guys are trying to tell me hehe...

If I decide to cap to AVI, I need to reduce the resolution so I can cap to mpeg in realtime.... But since I cant im lookin for a program that can do it.. or..............

I can cap directly to mpeg, but aswell the program limits to 100megs so thats 10 min..... its hard to say but thats the problem...

But i guess if i can direct to mpeg then i dont need to encode hehe...
    I guess thats where I got you guys confused, I just simply wanted a program that can cap in mpeg with 10meg segments instead of 100 that allow DV cards, thnx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but if you're doing realtime mpeg cpas, why does it need to be in segments?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I decide to cap to AVI, I need to reduce the resolution so I can cap to mpeg in realtime
    Again, this is either a typo, or you're not getting it correct..

Your DV .AVI is a standard 720x480. If you capture with this via DVIO, then load this .AVI into Tmpgenc...

Tmpgenc's job is to resize and make it VCD compatible. Your Mpeg is therefore ENCODED!!!!!
    After this happens, you authour the MPEG file....

If you capture directly into Mpeg1 (VCD compliant), as mentioned before, you skip the encoding step, and go straight to the authouring...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by pijetro
    If I decide to cap to AVI, I need to reduce the resolution so I can cap to mpeg in realtime
    Again, this is either a typo, or you're not getting it correct..

Your DV .AVI is a standard 720x480. If you capture with this via DVIO, then load this .AVI into Tmpgenc...

Tmpgenc's job is to resize and make it VCD compatible. Your Mpeg is therefore ENCODED!!!!!
    After this happens, you authour the MPEG file....

If you capture directly into Mpeg1 (VCD compliant), as mentioned before, you skip the encoding step, and go straight to the authouring...

If inm VirtualDub you can set a custom resolution for AVI, why cant I set a custom resolution for DV? must have an explanation?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, i think i understand, its confusing cause he's got his terminology wrong....He keeps saying he wants to cap in real time, But what he means is he wants to be able to convert in Real time..meaning If he loads a 5 minute AVI into Tmpgenc then it should take 5 minutes or less to convert it...
    However as we all know, the higher resolution file you load into Tmpgenc the longer it takes to convert it to whatever format your using, So loading in a 352x288 AVI file and converting it to 352x288 VCD will convert a lot faster than loading in a 720x576 AVI file and converting it to 352x288 VCD..

Well the answer to one of your questions is NO!!!, You cant tell DV to cap in different resolutions, DV is a set resolution at 720x576 or 720x480 with a set Constant Bitrate.

You can tell the ADVC to capture in real time to Mpeg Fomat using certain programs, but i noticed a considerable quality loss when i tried this, also i dont now of a program that will let you cap in mpeg and set how long you want each cap to be. But in scenealizer Live you ca tell it to cap in 640 Meg DV chunks (i dont know how long this is in DV off hand)

Hope this Helps
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yes thanks for the help and everyone else, just still open to anyone else who can still help me on finding this... since when is DV a new thing? cmon some coder had to made up something
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    your ADVC-100 is a hardware encoder that CANNOT BE MODIFIED. it will ALWAYS produce DV at 720X480. you can resize this in Vdub or TMPGenc of course, but your source will ALWAYS be 720X480.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ likwid8,

I feel ya, and feel for ya too. But, vdub simply cannot capture to DV
    w/ any device, nor any OS system
    plain and simple.
    But, to be fair, there was this user here, that claimed to be able to capture in
    DV using vdub, and he also included instructions on how to setup your system. I followed his setup instruction to no avail. It simply would not see
    the DV cam (my advc-100) - - the plain truth is that vdub does not recignise
    the advc-100 (or any DV device) at all. Vdub is an VFW only app.

You see, I'm also interested in using vdub w/ my advc-100, but its not working
    solution

I didn't know that synalizer had a min. limit though.

But, good luck finding a workaround for vdub and DV devices :P
    -vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  23. likwid8,

why cant I set a custom resolution for DV?
    DV capture isn't really capturing, it's a file transfer. It's just copying the DV stream. Of course the ADVC is capturing video but it always captures at the standard DV resolution of 720x480 (or 720x576 PAL). So the result when you "capture" to the PC is that same resolution.

Theoretically, there's no reason a program couldn't "capture" the DV stream and automatically resize it and encode in some other codec. But I think they all assume you want to keep the DV intact.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I forgot to mention: It's not free but Pinnacle Studio can capture from a DV source and encode to MPG2 in realtime.
    Quote Quote  
  25. You know.... all it really takes is for someone to get the source code of mediastudio pro or w/e program and just limit the segment file size decreased to 10 or w/e... I dunno whats the big deal with 100 megs. If i cant incoporate DV with VduB or any other program, they should at least make a program to cap in mpeg1 segments but with no size limit...

That pinnacle solution u stated caps at mpeg2, dunno if itll cap in mpeg1. You see this card is really an excellent card, just to bad it limits you to what it can offer for the ones (like me) who want to experiment and make things easier.
    Quote Quote