VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/western-digital-announces-wd-tv-live-plus-hd-with-netflix-stream/

We have even more news from Western Digital regarding its WD TV line (and this time around it doesn't involve bricking your set-top box with a firmware update). Besides the usual suspects (including Pandora, Live365, and YouTube), the WD TV Live Plus HD is shipping with Netflix. Get ready to browse titles, manage your Instant Queue, and stream your favorite episodes of Degrassi: The Next Generation on your HDTV -- in addition to accessing your sizable collection of legally purchased digital media via the device's USB connection and / or Windows 7 "Play To" functionality. Available now for $150. PR after the break.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's damn useful. Roku's sales will take a hit after this happens.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. you think Google TV box will kill both WD/ruko?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even the Seagate Fat+ streams Netflix and with so many other devices using the 1073 Realtek chip it's probobly just a short time before they all stream netflix. The only holdup with the fat+ was that they had to encrypt their firmware so it couldn't be hacked.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    you think Google TV box will kill both WD/ruko?
    Yes, over time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    you think Google TV box will kill both WD/ruko?
    Not necessarily. Google TV's own commercial only talks about finding shows on the web. It says NOTHING (right now at least) about playing media from hard discs, USB drives, DVD/CD discs, that you already have in your possession. Since that forms the majority of what I currently watch, it would not be very useful to me although I'm sure that Google will do a good job with it and it will perfect for some people. I guess it depends on what is important to you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Want to add. They added DVD navigation to the new model

Surely they could have enabled DVD navigation to the non plus box and it REALLY sucks that they didn't
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How are they allowing netflix streaming on a box that doesn't have an optical media drive? I know they added the required "netflix streaming" dvd disc for the ps3 and I assume its required now on the 360 and the WII.

What "control" are they issuing on the wdtv live plus to allow this?

Also I did not know that the live plus allows streaming of purchased media. Does that include video and audio from places like amazon and zune?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  9. They are including NetFlex software so you don't have to install it

There is a new pre-release beta firmware 1.03.22 for the older Live box that adds DVD menu support
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    How are they allowing netflix streaming on a box that doesn't have an optical media drive? I know they added the required "netflix streaming" dvd disc for the ps3 and I assume its required now on the 360 and the WII.

Netflix uses MS SilverLight, so I imagine they added that to the WD ROM.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm glad more devices are getting Netflix but they keep adding channels to my Roku so I think I'll stick with it.
    The USB port on the HD-XR will be available for developers when the next SDK comes out.

BTW: Pandora is sweet.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM

Some new DRM chip netflix approved.

Btw, they are adding Mediafly to (to the 'old' live as well), meaning you can suddenly stream all pod and vodcasts.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

Also I did not know that the live plus allows streaming of purchased media. Does that include video and audio from places like amazon and zune?
    As I mentioned in my above post re: the Seagates ability to stream netflix, I assume that just like the Seagate, the WD firmware is now encrypted so that you can view the stream and nothing else.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could someone who doesn't have me on ignore requote me: The "plus" has another Sigma chip - this one has Digital Restrictions Management built in to play the protected stream.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by branch View Post
    Could someone who doesn't have me on ignore requote me:...
    If you weren't posting so much incorrect information and getting upset when corrected you would not have the problem of people putting you on the ignore lists. I think several of us are wondering if you even have a WD from the errors you post.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by RdM642 View Post
    Originally Posted by branch View Post
    Could someone who doesn't have me on ignore requote me:...
    If you weren't posting so much incorrect information...
    I don't know what he's posted elsewhere but he's absolutely right in this case. The Live Plus has a new chip to handle the encryption demanded by NetFlix. If you go to WD's forums you'll see they have said as much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They need MLB.tv before next season.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    They need MLB.tv before next season.
    Won't help much, if you happen to be stuck with a perennially disappointing team like the Dodgers . . . . (I don't think any team has a higher payroll, with less to show for it.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I tried MLB.tv on my Roku but was unimpressed.

Lots of media players and streamers are coming out in the next few month's, I'm thinking of getting the new Sony N100.
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 17th Sep 2010 at 19:46.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    As for MLB.tv I tried it on my Roku but was unimpressed.
    What was wrong with it? Poor quality?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    As for MLB.tv I tried it on my Roku but was unimpressed.
    What was wrong with it? Poor quality?

The video stutters or won't load at all, not sure if it was a Roku problem or a MLB.tv problem. Reading the Roku forums it still appears to be a problem.
    http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27361&start=1905&hilit=mlb.tv
    Quote Quote  
  22. I have a Roku but I loaned it to a friend. I didn't try MLB before loaning it out. Netflix streaming worked fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by seeker47
    disappointing team like the Dodgers . . . . (I don't think any team has a higher payroll, with less to show for it.)
    I'm not much of a baseball fan but check out the Tigers. They spend like crazy and only have one world series appearance in the last 5 years......

The maddening thing is the same owner owns the NHL Detroit Redwings and has won 4 stanley cups in the last 15 years - its all in the management - money isn't everything in sports but it certainly helps.....

---sorry for going off topic....

as for streaming you can stream this stuff to any dlna device with tversity or playon if you sign up for the paid portions - you can even do amazon on demand (and yes mlb too).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote