VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DVP642 just died and I want to replace it with a DVP5990/5992. Does anyone know whether they are available in Canada yet, or Toronto specifically?

I am also not certain what the difference is between the DVP5990 and 5992.

I have found a DVP5982 and 59000 for $50 locally. Should I wait for the 5990 or just get one of these since I am without a player right now?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not sure where in Canada you can purchase a 5990/5992, but to answer your other questions:

Differences

5960: 1080i
    5982: 1080p
    5990: 1080p

5960: USB 1.1
    5982: USB 1.1
    5990: USB 2.0

5960: Silver in Color
    5982: Black in Color
    5990: Black in Color

The 5990 also has the ability to rip CDs in mp3 format to a flash drive. There is also a 5992 out, which I believe is available at Costco. The only difference between the 5990 and the 5992 is the color. The 5992 is a silver unit. They are all easily hackable with just a few clicks of the remote. In my opinion, the USB 2.0 on the most current models (5990,5992) is the deciding factor. Due to the low voltage of USB 1.1, it was sometimes difficult to hook up an external drive. With the newer units having USB 2.0, you can hook up almost any 2.5" portable drive and it will play DivX, Xvids from the drive without the need for any external power to the drive. Of course, you can also hook up a 3.5" external drive with external power with no problems. One minor caveat, the drives must be formatted FAT32, and Windows will not let you format a drive to FAT32 larger than 32GB. But you can use a program like FAT32 Formatter or SwissKnife to format any size drive. I currently own both the 5960 and the 5990, but I have also owned the 3040, 5140 and the 5982, so if you have any more questions just ask.
    Quote Quote  
  3. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24333

costco.ca has a 3928 for sale $70 +, and I think costco at stores has the 5990, also try ebay or source at circuit city.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both for the info.

That was a really great summary of the models. USB 2.0 is definitely worth it, so I am going to try to hunt down a 5990.

So far, I have checked at Walmart, Best Buy, Future Shop, the Source, as well as a few other places that normally carry Phillips players, but no luck so far in case anyone else is looking.

I'd rather not buy this item online for various reasons, but it looks like I might have to if I want it in the near future...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm also looking around the area (GTA) but couldn't find anything. The first place we would see this is Best Buy I think.

Where have you seen this to buy online?. Amazon.com won't ship this player to Toronto.
    Quote Quote  
  6. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24333&vpn=DVDP5982/37&manufacture=PHILIPS

just do a search on the internet, stipulate Canada only.

The www.philips.ca website includes the 5990 but not 5992.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That link and the one above is pointing to the 5982. After doing a search on NCIX, the 5990 is available there, for $80 though. I assume this will be median price anyway when it arrives to Canada.

Thanks for the link, I may just order!
    Quote Quote  
  8. http://cgi.ebay.ca/PHILIPS-ULTRA-DVP5982-37-1080p-HDMI-DivX-REGION-FREE_W0QQitemZ23028...QQcmdZViewItem

is another option, comes to similiar with shipping.

Wal Mart or Costco usually do these type of players for around 60$ eventually
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 5990 is out of stock at NCIX. I didn't see any available on eBay that shipped to Canada when I last looked.

I haven't seen anywhere online that both had it in stock and ships to Canada.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This hasn't come to the GTA yet, maybe out west though.

victoriabears - All those links you post are to the 5982, we are talking about 5992 here.

Bestbuy has taken the 5982 off their website for sometime now and philips canada has it on their site. So we should see the 5992 showing up pretty soon.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ncix is back in stock and on sale for 60 bucks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its available everywhere now in Canada!!!. Just purchased from the BestBuy website
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by victoriabears
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=32247&vpn=DVP5990%2F37&manufacture=P HILIPS

say $79.99 plus taxes
    Sorry, you need to follow the weekly sale link banner at the top of the home page. Still 60 bucks with 37 units left. Sale ends next Tuesday evening.

here's the link:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=32247&promoid=1074
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser
    Its available everywhere now in Canada!!!. Just purchased from the BestBuy website
    Regular price is better than ncix regular price (by 10 bucks) but sale price at ncix is 10 bucks less.

ncix is offering 5 dollar shipping for the 5990 so it's ~ 65 bucks before taxes ...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bill_n_opus
    Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser
    Regular price is better than ncix regular price (by 10 bucks) but sale price at ncix is 10 bucks less.

ncix is offering 5 dollar shipping for the 5990 so it's ~ 65 bucks before taxes ...
    The cheapest shipping I could get to Toronto was $12 and some change. Is $5 for only customers out west?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Express Shipping $15.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    Canada Post Expedited $12.98 Usually takes 2-8 business days to ship. *
    Purolator Ground $13.98 Usually takes 1-6 business days to ship. *
    UPS Ground $14.98 Usually takes 1-6 business days to ship. *
    DHL Ground $18.98 Usually takes 1-6 business days to ship. *
    FedEx Ground $19.00 Usually takes 1-7 business days to ship. *
    Purolator Air $19.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    UPS Air $19.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    FedEx Air $20.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    Canada Post Xpresspost $20.40 Usually takes 1-4 business days to ship. *
    Loomis/DHL Air $24.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser
    Express Shipping $15.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    Canada Post Expedited $12.98 Usually takes 2-8 business days to ship. *
    Purolator Ground $13.98 Usually takes 1-6 business days to ship. *
    UPS Ground $14.98 Usually takes 1-6 business days to ship. *
    DHL Ground $18.98 Usually takes 1-6 business days to ship. *
    FedEx Ground $19.00 Usually takes 1-7 business days to ship. *
    Purolator Air $19.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    UPS Air $19.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    FedEx Air $20.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    Canada Post Xpresspost $20.40 Usually takes 1-4 business days to ship. *
    Loomis/DHL Air $24.00 Usually takes 1-2 business days to ship. *
    yes, you're probably right. I'm local in the greater vancouver area ... I got a 5 dollar promo so it's probably because of my location. So, in the end you got the best deal that you could get. Don't mind me ...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your information was very much so helpful. I actually cancelled my order from BestBuy and ordered from NCIX. I realized I need some other computer things from there and also forgot only GST is charged when ordering from them (outside of BC). Nontheless, a very good deal from NCIX thanks to you, I wouldn't have known!.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To bring this up to date, BestBuy Canada (Ontario) now offers the DVP5990 for $69.99 in their recent flyer.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Wal-mart isn't cheaper?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA
    Wal-mart isn't cheaper?
    Up until a few days ago, the Walmart in my area only had older Philips models. I don't find that Walmart Canada is always competitive with electronics unless it's really low res stuff.

Either way BestBuy and their sister store FutureShop always price match and in case of problems I like their no hassle return/exchange policy.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the update gll99!. I've recommended this player to a few of my friends and now they all own the 5990 couple with an external hard drive. Pretty simple and straightforward media centre in my opinion.
    Quote Quote