VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm running into a rather odd problem with my Panasonic EZ28k (perhaps owners of other model #'s can also help me);

When I record a TV show from the units HD tuner, everything looks just fine as far as the aspect ratio on my WideScreen LCD. The picture is properly formatted, with slight bars at the top and bottom.. and fully widescreen. When I play it back BEFORE doing a finalize, everything still looks and plays just fine. THEN, after doing a finalize, the aspect ratio seems to change. When I play it back, the slight bars (at top and bottom) are gone and so the image is stretched to an incorrect aspect ratio.

What's causing this problem? Why is it fine before I finalize... and then changes AFTER?

any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, I just found the answer to my question. It seems that the EZ28k doesn't set the proper 16:9 flag on DVD+R DVD-R and RW formats... only RAM. It records all the anamorphic data and then rather rediculously forgets to set the 16:9 flag (there REALLY should be an option for this on the recorder).

I would recommend recording to a +RW (which doesn't need to be finalized) then ripping to your hard drive on your PC. Then use Ifoedit to set the flags to 16:9.

solved.

A true shame that the idiots who designed this recorder failed to let it set the 16:9 flag correctly. Perhaps someone can hack the firmware????

D'oh!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree it's dumb but keep in mind basically all newer and most older DVDRs do it this way, it's not just the Pannys.
    Quote Quote