VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

I've been playing around with capturing DVD compliant MPEG 2 in Catalyst Media Center version 1.0.4210. However, I can't seem to figure out if I'm dropping frames. Does anyone know where this information is reported?

Thanks,
    Justin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by justin81 View Post
    Hey,

I've been playing around with capturing DVD compliant MPEG 2 in Catalyst Media Center version 1.0.4210. However, I can't seem to figure out if I'm dropping frames. Does anyone know where this information is reported?

Thanks,
    Justin
    Not the best software, and I have yet to find such a report.

However, even good capture software, like VirtualDub, especially with VHS, can drop frames - even if the report shows otherwise. So even a clean report shouldn't be your dealsealer.

Assuming the drops are random, the best way to find out is to test this with multiple captures. Try this with a tape, or on a TV channel that repeats something every 10 minutes, or a DvD, or whatnot - as long as it's the same content.

Test it with 3-4 captures of a 30+ minute sample, then compare the streams with multiple instances of them. Do they line up properly frame by frame?
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote