VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I've just bought and ripped my first blu ray film to my hard drive, and have converted it to a mkv file using Handbrake as a backup. I've compressed it down to be able fit on a DL DVD and the quality is great.

However, I've done VERY little DL burning before and assumed that I could burn the single MKV file onto a disc. But - when I try to burn it, it always fails around about the halfway mark (at the layer break I assume....) - there's no advanced warning of impending problems before hitting the 'burn' button (such as not having the right file system selected or suchlike....)

I've used ImageBurn and Burnaware but got the failure on both.... what am I missing here? (probably, something fundamental, but I've googled for a while and haven't found any clues so far.....)

Thanks if you can put me out of my misery....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to sound insulting but have you burned any dl discs before with this drive? Are you sure it is capable of burning dl discs? Is there a chance its only capable of burning - or + dl discs? Are you sure they are dl discs?

Again I don't mean to insult you but just covering the basics.

If it can indeed burn dl discs and they are blank dl discs imgburn should burn it perfectly.

If it was larger than the dl disc imgburn would tell you so.

Try a different brand of blank dl discs to verify the problem continues. If it does you may need to buy a new burner. DL burners are only 30.00 usd or so these days online at places like newegg or tigerdirect (for the internal desktop models of course - slim or usb models will be more expensive).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We recommend using only Verbatim DVD+R DL discs and using ImgBurn to burn. If you do anything else to burn DL discs, you may have problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure as i have never tried it, but burning 1 large mkv video file to a DL, will that work ?
    As in how would it handle it on a standalone player ?

Like with regular dvd format you can choose a spot to set the layer break.
    But standard dvd video format is broken up into separate VOB's and is a totally different format.
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 2nd Oct 2010 at 16:06.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for all the replies (and no offence taken yoda .....I know from being on other forums regarding subjects I'm more proficient in, that there are some very basic mistakes made, that are flagged up as 'problems'.... )

In the end I managed to burn the complete file by re-ripping the film...but made it a tad smaller (even though the other one was within the limits of the DL disc...)

I retried burning with imageburn using the UDF mode (which is what I was using before) but this time it continued all the way through to completion...

Weird, but all's well that ends well

Thanks again all....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You are being careful to not tell us what brand of disc you are using, so I suspect it is not Verbatim. Non-Verbatim DL discs are a real crapshoot. Maybe you just got lucky with this burn. With non-Verbatim DL discs I'd recommend that you burn at a lower speed as that sometimes helps to prevent coasters. I wouldn't burn any faster than 4x.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    True, Verbs MIS are top notch.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  8. Actually it would be very bad value for money to buy anything from tigerdirect or newegg, as the postage alone would outweigh any savings made. However we, in the uk, do have equivalent computer stores, which would only charge national postage, and would be in the currency to which you are familiar. Such online stores as scan, ebuyer, novatech, svp, ccl and aria sell all the stuff you need.

LOL
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Noahtuck, I've burned quite a few ~8GB MKVs to DL disc, over a hundred using Verbatim discs and Imgburn, and the layer break popup never came up. I assumed MKVs or any data disc didn't worry about layer breaks. They must be in there, but I've never noticed any visible pauses in the video. But I also only play back those files with the computer or my WDTV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    redwuz,

layber break points are not in there, for sure.
    It's Imgburn which automatically handled it for you and there even were no "parts" of such a big file where you could interfere to set a LB point.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The is going to show you guys that this is my first time to even get what it takes to backup my (I think BD is Blu-Ray blanks), what is MKVs exactly ? I'm going to get Pioneer Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer BDR-206 (Black) , because I will still possibly want to burn DVD's and CD's and them would someone tell me if there is a software that will burn all of those ?

And can I backup two movies on one BD ? As I said, I know what Writer I'm getting, just need the names of the software (free if possible), and understanding the blank BD's. (best brand)

When I get all that I need I'm sure I will have more questions, but will glad when I'm rocking... help folks out like I have needed help. I'm also going to go back and read a chart that I stumbled on about all the DVD spec's..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you get that BDR-206, please tell me if it is Made in China (MIC) or Made in Japan (MIJ). Thanks!

MKV is Matroska format, kinda the new avi container format even available as HDTV content in various combinations.

I would stick to Panasonic and Mitsubishi/Verbatim media in case of BD.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Avoid the LTH type BD discs no matter how cheap they are. Burning and playback support are iffy for those discs. Even some of the better manufacturers make those discs but they are always labeled as such so if you don't see it labeled as LTH, it's not.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And by the way tcory, your post has nothing at all to do with the subject of this thread. Please don't hijack threads again. Just post a new thread if you want help.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Revisiting this thread that I started just for an update.

I thought by shrinking the original mkv a touch I'd sorted it, but nope, must've just been lucky on that burn coz a bit later, I tried to burn another backup of around 8gb and that bombed out too.

I always aim to end up with an 8gb file size to offer the best available quality for me as I don't have a BR burner, so have to settle for DL +R discs, but I'm more than happy with the quality at that size tbh - trouble is I couldn't succesfully burn 'em!

I wasn't too bothered about it though, coz at least I had a backup of the original on my PC, but then I had a bit of a fright the other day when my main 2TB storage drive 'disappeared' from view in My Computer. A reboot never sorted it either, then just when i thought I'd lost all those backups, I tried one more thing I remembered from somewhere - I tried a cold boot, and actually shut down the PC for 30 secs or so, switched it back on and this time it showed up again...phew, but it made actually try and get this DL issue sorted!

I must've made half a dozen coasters - always failing around the layer break point - I tried slow as possible burns, I even borrowed a Verbatim off a mate to see if it was my cheaper discs (Aone 8x) but that failed as well, so decided to read into it a bit more.

I'd never had any problems with my burner before....but that was prolly because I'd never burnt any DL discs lol.... but after googling for a while about my burner (a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B) I realised my firmware was a revision or two behind (as I said, I'd had no probs before so never had any need to look into updating it)

Anyway, I flashed my drive with the newer SB03 FW and everything is now sorted. I've now done 10 straight burns with not a single failure.

Hope this helps someone else having similar probs sometime....

Moggsy
    Quote Quote  
  16. I hate to be a party-pooper, but...

1) Your problems with failed burns sound very much like it's the fault of your media. (I can't find any media codes for Aone DL discs though). A firmware upgrade may help, but I'll be willing to bet you get more failed burns from that spindle regardless. I've seen the same from CMC MAG D03-64 DL discs: most failures near the 50% mark (edge of the disc!) either during the burn or, more likely, the verification. If you're not verifying the discs, you may have some bad burns and not know it. I've jotted down the sector locations where ImgBurn tells me there are unrecoverable read errors, and, sure enough, the disc skips at that point. This for discs burned "successfully", supposedly.

2) The problem of your storage drive disappearing: If it's an external enclosure, don't be surprised if that starts happening more and more frequently. Mine did the same when it was on its way out. I finally pulled it and put it in the tower; the hard drive is fine, the enclosure went bad.

Anyway, good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hiya fritzi

I hear what you're saying re: the discs, but I purposely use Aone discs as I've never had any trouble with them before, so fugured I'd try them for DL too. I thought I'd made a mistake too tbh but since the FW update, I've now done another one so that's 11 out of 11 successfully whereas before it was a 100% failure rate. I'd say that was pretty conclusive that it was a drive/FW problem rather than a disc problem plus, I always verify backups....and all have come up good!

It was/is an internal drive that I had the disappearing act with....not in a caddy or anything, plugged directly into the mobo. It led me to start the clock for when it went bang permanently...but touch wood, it's been fine ever since, though I'm backing everything on it regularly now as it doesn't sound too promising!

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I really wish I could get paid every time somebody like moggsy says something like the following:
    "I use _______ discs as I've never had any trouble with them before..."

Your Aone discs still may be crap even though they work now. Let us know in 2 years if they still play for you.

Sounds like you've made up your mind that Aone is the greatest brand of discs on the planet so I wish you the best with that.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I really wish I could get paid every time somebody like moggsy says something like the following:
    "I use _______ discs as I've never had any trouble with them before..."

Your Aone discs still may be crap even though they work now. Let us know in 2 years if they still play for you.

Sounds like you've made up your mind that Aone is the greatest brand of discs on the planet so I wish you the best with that.
    The whole point of me starting this thread was to see why I couldn't burn any discs at all....my follow up post was to give what was MY solution to this particular issue, just in case anyone else was having similar probs and was doing some searching for possible answers. It was suggested that the discs could have been the fault and no doubt they often are the cause...but not always.

I always put my burnt discs in folder wallets for safe keeping, in double-sleeves with the soft tissue-like divider to keep them apart. I never touch the underside of a disc or put them face down on surfaces. You could say most people generally will not handle their discs like this, but I always have, and have never once had a disc not play from a good verified burn.

As it happens, we recently watched Underworld that I burnt nearly 7 years ago on an el-cheapo Datawrite Red and it played perfectly.

If you want to pay 3 or 4 times more for Verbs....get on with it - but not everyone does. There'll be folks agreeing with your view and mine no doubt, but to me, it's not life and death - it's just a movie back up, so if I eventually find one that won't play for some reason, Ill live with it coz I've spent a whole lot less than you, before I find that disc...IF I find it!

Anyway, in other news today......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Happy wasting more money on crappo discs then...........
    Quote Quote  
  21. Why not keep the Burned discs as backup and play off the hard drive? Or even just keep two hard drives in sync, one for playing, one for backup. Drives going to sleep can be done to powerdown options in the OS BTW
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by RabidDog View Post
    Why not keep the Burned discs as backup and play off the hard drive? Or even just keep two hard drives in sync, one for playing, one for backup. Drives going to sleep can be done to powerdown options in the OS BTW
    Yaay...!

A sensible reply for the 'common' man.....

I've got a HDD that I make a copy of my 'must have' films....but also do a disc copy of the.... errrr, not so 'must-have's'...if you get what I mean! In other words, films that I really, REALLY wanna keep....go on my 2nd HDD - the ones that I deem as 'so-so' go onto disc only.

Personally....I hate this..."You must burn your back ups onto Verbs...or your life will end", philosophy that seems to prevail on this forum.

I'd say 99% of folks look for VFM in their products....and for all you Verb FB's out there.... 3x the price of something that does the same job as something that ...(note this caveat) does the same job as .....(IF IT'S STORED CORRECTLY...)" as something else....isn't VFM IMHO!!

As I've already said; provided you take care of your back ups, they will be good to go in yrs to come....in as much as your 3x-more expensive WON'T be if you don't take care of those either.....!!!!
    Quote Quote