VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What sort of camera would be needed to shoot a film that would be shown in cinema?

what sort of file would it need to be if it were to be shown in cinema, just assume the local cinema said they would show it?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    What sort of camera would be needed to shoot a film that would be shown in cinema?
    It depends on the cinema, or which theatre

For some "Indie" scenarios, certain festivals - sometimes there is no minimum requirement. Content /storytelling /acting/ directing is more important.

Other times, there are more strict requirements for acquisition

what sort of file would it need to be if it were to be shown in cinema, just assume the local cinema said they would show it?
    Digital Cinema Package (DCP)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Cinema_Package

There are free/open source alternatives that can create the package such as OpenDCP
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. what camera would be need to create the DCP or can a package be created from any camera like aDSLR?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Thanks. what camera would be need to create the DCP or can a package be created from any camera like aDSLR?
    Any camera. The package is camera independent
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No cameras create DCP directly. It is expected that there will be post-production work. The last stage in the post workflow prior to distribution to cinemas is creation of the DCP, using dedicated tools.

Note that there does exist a couple of opensource DCP tools, for just such a need as yours. Haven't had need to try them so won't comment on how compatible or featured they may or may not be.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    Thanks. what camera would be need to create the DCP or can a package be created from any camera like aDSLR?
    Any camera. The package is camera independent
    OK thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect the camera itself would be the least of the issues you'd face.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    I suspect the camera itself would be the least of the issues you'd face.
    Thanks, can you tell me more. I want to shoot in black and white and have a sort of grim look to my movie due to the story line
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, the only digital camera that truly allows you to SHOOT* in black&white (aka grayscale) is the Leica Monochrom series. And those currently only support 1080p.

You can, of course, shoot with most any digital video-capable camera, in color, and desaturate in post.
    *(You can also shoot using a color-sensored cam while using a desaturate filter, but it will apply demosaicing all the same and lose some of the detail to interpolation - only a sensor the doesn't use a beyer mosaic filter can avoid this. Hence, not true b&w.)

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 24th Aug 2020 at 23:52.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Read through these site:

https://mango.blender.org/production/4k-dcp-available-for-testing/

https://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/DSS200_Specifications.pdf

As a general rule of thumb, you will probably want to shoot RAW, your post workflow will vary depending on software you use and effects you use, you can create a master in a number of formats, but i see no reason why you can't master in the same format as you give to the cinema.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Read through these site:

https://mango.blender.org/production/4k-dcp-available-for-testing/

https://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/DSS200_Specifications.pdf

As a general rule of thumb, you will probably want to shoot RAW, your post workflow will vary depending on software you use and effects you use, you can create a master in a number of formats, but i see no reason why you can't master in the same format as you give to the cinema.
    Thanks for the feedback
    Quote Quote  
  12. https://vimeo.com/87582861

i want to upload it to Vimeo as the above film. The above is just sample of a short I came across though i thought the Martha Marcy May Marlene was excellent. I note the one linked above is mpeg 4 and 4.2.0. Would that be acceptable?

General
    Complete name : C:\movies\Mary Last Seen-87582861.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 81.5 MiB
    Duration : 13 min 38 s
    Overall bit rate : 835 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf58.17.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 714 kb/s
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 358 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.104
    Stream size : 69.7 MiB (86%)
    Writing library : x264 core 140 r2377 1ca7bb9
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / stitchable=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=90 / keyint_min=30 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=5 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=1125 / vbv_bufsize=3750 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics : BT.601
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 112 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 10.9 MiB (13%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    https://vimeo.com/87582861

i want to upload it to Vimeo as the above film. The above is just sample of a short I came across though i thought the Martha Marcy May Marlene was excellent. I note the one linked above is mpeg 4 and 4.2.0. Would that be acceptable?
    Those specs are the re-encoded specs that vimeo uses, not the uploaded video specs

Some vimeo videos have a "download" button and if there is an "original" option listed - if you download that - it's the same uploaded version

Vimeo is like youtube - they are flexible in terms of the uploaded format . They re-encode everything for the distributed streaming format, but with slightly higher quality than youtube. Paid vimeo accounts get higher bitrate, higher quality, better encoding settings. Vimeo has nothing to do with DCP or cinema
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by David Banner View Post
    https://vimeo.com/87582861

Those specs are the re-encoded specs that vimeo uses, not the uploaded video specs

Some vimeo videos have a "download" button and if there is an "original" option listed - if you download that - it's the same uploaded version

Vimeo is like youtube - they are flexible in terms of the uploaded format . They re-encode everything for the distributed streaming format, but with slightly higher quality than youtube. Paid vimeo accounts get higher bitrate, higher quality, better encoding settings. Vimeo has nothing to do with DCP or cinema
    i thought vimeo might re-encode
    Quote Quote  
  15. Vimeo and Cinema require very different specs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Vimeo and Cinema require very different specs.
    i know, just getting overview, thanks for your post
    Quote Quote