VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all.

I am trying to find a suitable desk mount for a 28" LCD monitor. My requirements are quite unusual because I would like to mount the monitor in portrait. The screen itself is a 28" screen (diagonally), however, the overall size of the entire unit is 26" wide x 17.5" high. Of course, as I am going to be mounting it in portrait, the screen will be 26" high and 17.5" wide.

I am confused about the maximum size of a screen manufacturers state their mounts are suitable for. If they already provide a maximum weight it can take, why do they also have a maximum screen size? Surely it can't be anything to do with the height of the monitor it can accept because monitor heights vary even if their diagonal screen size is the same, for example, some monitors are squarish and others are short and wider.

Anyhow, onto my real question. So in my circumstances of the monitor being 17.5" wide, do the manufacturers' size of screen for their mounts still apply to me, ie, would I still need to get a mount that is suitable for a 28" screen?

Ideally, I would prefer one of those mounts where the monitor can be adjusted in every way by just holding onto the screen and moving it around without having to adjust any screw/levers/knobs etc, but from what I have seen, they are quite expensive. Below are links for the monitor and also a desk mount which doesn't cost much at all. Would this be suitable for my requirements?

http://www.sussexbargains.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=262
    http://www.avdigitalsolutions.co.uk/avlink-dual-arm-desk-mount-for-ledlcd-screens-13---32-417-p.asp

Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They can be expensive. What they usually mean by size is a rough way for them to judge weight. But with LED LCDs, they are quite a bit lighter. The one I use was on sale for about $80US. But it has weight adjustments for the arms, so it balances the weight of the monitor and sort of does move by just grabbing the edge to put it where you want it. It uses gas cylinders and springs, so that's why the better ones are expensive.

The mounts themselves on the end of the arm and on your monitor are VESA spec, but there are three sizes that I'm aware of, 75, 100 and 200.

I doubt it makes any difference which way you mount the screen as long as the arm is long enough to clear your desk in the portrait position. If you plan on moving the monitor around a lot, look into an accessory corner handle as that makes it easier.

I looked into a mount that's similar to what you linked to, but I didn't think it would be able to move smoothly to different positions, so I got the one with the gas cylinders and springs. If you don't plan to move your monitor around a lot, up and down and back and forth, the one you are looking at should be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply redwudz.

So, if my monitor is about 11kg, does that mean that I can use any mount that supports 11kg or over regardless of the manufacturers' maximum screen size? (Obviously as long as the arm can be adjusted in height to accommodate a tall monitor and can support my monitor's VESA, ie, 200 x 100.) For example, would I be able to use a mount that only supports a 24 or 26 inch monitor as long as it supports 11kg or over?

I have tried out one of those that moves in all directions in a shop and it sure does feel quite nice just moving the monitor around so easily like that! Well, I probably won't be doing much, if any, height adjustment at all due to the monitor being 26" high! I would probably use tilt, swivel and move back and forth, but I don't really know how much of it I'll need to do until I actually mount the monitor. I don't think it'd be too much but it would be nice just to move it around freely.

What's a 'corner handle'? Couldn't find any by searching. Is it something like in the picture in the link below?

http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/rittal/catalogue-32/5066-74080-_1117.html

Thanks for the good advice, if the one I linked to is fine then I am encouraged to give it a try. As it is quite cheap, it wouldn't be too bad to replace it after a while of using it if I don't like it. I hope that at that price, it is not totally useless in terms of quality!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the handles are similar to your link. They bolt to the VESA mount so no stress on the LCD case when you move it around. Dr. offices use them most commonly. I was going to fabricate one of my own as they are usually a bit expensive. A simple one could just stick down at a 45 degree angle on the lower corner of the LCD.

Not being familiar with the brand and model of the arm you are looking at, not sure how well it supports the weight. Those weight limits may be for the retracted or fully extended position. Though I think you will be safe with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use one similar (but not identical) to the the 'Single MDM ' listed by Amazon UK . The pillar is on a very substantial 'D'' clamp with two clamping screws . The whole stand is heavy and rigid. I think that two clamping screws are essential . Mine cost about 40 quid delivered three or four years ago . The mounting plate is standard and you can rotate it to put the monitor horizontally or vertically . I think it uses M4 screws I don't remember who it came from but it was an office supplier rather than a computer trader. ... yours mike
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks redwudz. I have also noticed that sometimes they state a different weight limit for mounting it on the desk and mounting it on the wall.

I have had a look at the single MDM one and see that it has two bolts as you mention, mL999. Your advice about about two clamping screws being essential is making me think now, especially as the monitor is large.

Thanks for all the advice and information. It is really appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I bought a tv wall bracket at crazysales. It can hold 80kg, and it fits almost any size of monitor in the market. And there holes for three types of pivots, which means it is available for pc and television. With that said, I believe it meets your needs. Also the swivel can reach various angles.
    Quote Quote