VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I too am trying to figure out weather to get a projector or rear projection tv. I really like the looks of the Sanyo PLV-Z2, the BenQ PB6200, or Panasonic PT-L500U. According to projector central, the sanyo does 16:9 and the benq and panasonic are 4:3. I thought most projectors do both?? Is one more made for 1 format vs the other?? Also, I am trying to accomadate this for a basement with a max throw back distance of roughly 15 or so feet. Would this be enough for a good viewing prospective and correct viewing size? Any help is much appreciated!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it depends on the lens in your projector what shape screen you need. personally i would go for a 16:9 model, and then 4:3 material will just be centralised with black bars left and right.

according to this website:
    http://www.infocus.com/service/software/projcalc.asp?site_lang=1&site_region=1&
    a distance of 15 feet will give you an image between 80" and 110" depending on which model you pick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the Panasonic PT-L500U is the same as the PTAE 500E then it is a true 16:9 projector WXGA 1280x720. Have just set up my PTAE 500E and the pic is very good.
    If you are intending to watch dvd's then go for a true 16:9 projector, if you get a 4:3 model you wont be happy looseing half your resalotion with black bars top and bottom
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, i'd hat to go back to watching 2.35:1 movies on a 4:3 screen!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have had a Sony VPL-HS2 projector for about 2 years. At 17 feet, I get about a 5' X 8' picture. Most projector sites have a calculator to show you what the picture size VS distance will be. If you go for a projector, don't scrimp on the screen. Electric retractable if you can afford it and good quality. I use a HDTV aspect screen as a good compromise between 4:3 and 16:9. I would go for a projector any day over a rear projection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I have had a Sony VPL-HS2 projector for about 2 years. At 17 feet, I get about a 5' X 8' picture. Most projector sites have a calculator to show you what the picture size VS distance will be. If you go for a projector, don't scrimp on the screen. Electric retractable if you can afford it and good quality. I use a HDTV aspect screen as a good compromise between 4:3 and 16:9. I would go for a projector any day over a rear projection.
    I though HDTV -was- 16:9 ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    flaninacupboard: Yes, HDTV is 16:9, my mistake. What I meant to say is some videos end up letterboxed in widescreen format. I tried one (My Fair Lady) and it is presented in the original film format of SuperPanavision (70MM film) at 2.20:1 aspect ratio. Shows as letterboxed on a 16:9 screen.
    Quote Quote