VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello folks,
    not sure if it's the right place to ask, but it's quite hard to find some forums to ask about VCRs.

So, I have a "SEG VCR8000" which is just a rebranded Shintom VCR, it's 100% compatible but with less quality I assume.
    So, my issue is that upon pressing the play button, the tape is pulled out, attacked to the tape head, and only the LEFT wheel on the cassete spins, but the RIGHT one is staying still which causes the tape to be rolled up outside of the cassete causing the VCR to stop the playback automatically.
    Interestingly enough, the Forward and Rewind functions work perfectly fine, but Play the being only one who doesn't work.

I opened it up, to take look at the belts and one was too large due to age, and one was totally broken. I replaced them both, and the system is up and running again, but playback is still giving me issues. I don't understand how the whole system works, or which belt is for what, but everything spins when it has to - none of them is slipping or anything, all of them have traction even at low and high speeds.
    As a side note: the VCR is equipped with a screen to show channel, record, vhs info etc. which doesn't work, also I saw no input on the SCART on my TV. So I'm afraid the electronics are fried or something, but I assume that there has to be a tape playing to the signal to show up (?). But this seems like a mechanical issue. Still, expert help is needed. Also, I tried multiple cassetes, so they're not the issue.

Here is video of the issue and a image of the backside where the belts are.
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Repairing a VCR is not the average person's task, It require tools, knowledge and patience, It is not something that can be done over an online forum, If you don't feel comfortable taking it a part and check all the mechanical components for defects according to the service manual it is time to get a working VCR and move on. A lot of people get pissed when I say this but it is the true reality unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have an EE degree, and fix all sorts of things, but I agree that VCRs are particularly tricky, unless you have lots of specialized equipment. I have fixed some, but have failed more often than I have succeeded.

However, if you want to continue to work on it, you need to look at the other rubber pieces. If the belts had lost their elasticity and one had broken, that indicates some pretty brittle rubber. That means that the pinch rollers are also probably shot. Those are what actually manage the tension around the heads, etc.

You can get some rubber rejuvinator and carefully apply it to each roller, and then after thirty seconds, wipe it dry. This won't fix anything permanently, but if it starts to function a little better, this can help you determine whether you need to replace these items.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Repairing a VCR is not the average person's task, It require tools, knowledge and patience, It is not something that can be done over an online forum, If you don't feel comfortable taking it a part and check all the mechanical components for defects according to the service manual it is time to get a working VCR and move on. A lot of people get pissed when I say this but it is the true reality unfortunately.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have decided to ditch it, how much ever I hate ditching electronics (especially retro ones).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I have an EE degree, and fix all sorts of things, but I agree that VCRs are particularly tricky, unless you have lots of specialized equipment. I have fixed some, but have failed more often than I have succeeded.

However, if you want to continue to work on it, you need to look at the other rubber pieces. If the belts had lost their elasticity and one had broken, that indicates some pretty brittle rubber. That means that the pinch rollers are also probably shot. Those are what actually manage the tension around the heads, etc.

You can get some rubber rejuvinator and carefully apply it to each roller, and then after thirty seconds, wipe it dry. This won't fix anything permanently, but if it starts to function a little better, this can help you determine whether you need to replace these items.
    Finally I did decide to ditch it. Sadly.
    But I am lacking the experience to be able to fix something like that. I just can't understand why forward and rewing work perfectly but play won't. But that's my lack of understanding how the machine works.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by XGamer23 View Post
    I just can't understand why forward and rewing work perfectly but play won't. But that's my lack of understanding how the machine works.
    Because FF and REW are driven by the spindles that go into the hubs, and those spindles are driven by the belts you replaced. However, if you start looking at the loading mechanism that stretches the tape around the drum and then look at how the tape it actually pulled across the drum and how it is kept at the right height above the drum, there are lots of other things that you will find which grab and advance the tape during playback.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Could also be that the takeup mechanism is worn because the right reel isn't moving to take in the tape that pinch roller is supplying.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Could also be that the takeup mechanism is worn because the right reel isn't moving to take in the tape that pinch roller is supplying.
    That's the problem obviously, the solution is up to him to figure out by removing the parts and finding out what's wrong with it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The play and the FF and REW funtions use different sections of the tape transport mechanism. When you press play the right spindle uses a clutch system to take the tape back. In FF usually there is a direct mechanical connection to the spindle and that's why there is a different behavior. To fix the problem you should take apart the spindle and check for the material between the spindle and the weel under the spindle.
    Last edited by johnjonh; 8th Sep 2020 at 10:50.
    Quote Quote