VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone had sucess in using remote desktop to controll a computer sending out audio and video to tv. Get login screen for vid, audio works but when trying to change songs stops sending audio to tv. Anyone have ideas, progs, or hacks around login screen, or maby did this in a different way.. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is it your exactly trying to do? are you connecting to another computer from your HTPC using Remote desktop? And just to play files from another computer on the HTPC?

if my assumptions are correct then all you really need to do is share the folder of music/movies and you can access files from the htpc not having to use remote desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Remote desktop is part of windows XP pro. It is common used to get to your office PC from a conference room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe look at using something like TightVNC ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Computer sending video to tv is in back room, and to make any adjustments im running back and fourth, Shared folder would'nt work because it (tv) would nead to go to the laptop. Thought it would be cool to sit in living room and controll media and itunes with a PDA? Will look intoVNC ,,,Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish, and why sharing a folder won't work. If you can RDP to the laptop, why can't you access a shared folder on it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike909
    I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish, and why sharing a folder won't work. If you can RDP to the laptop, why can't you access a shared folder on it?
    My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont want to view the folder I want to make changes to video audio settings on the computer while running the files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    okay. share the folder and allow others to modify folder and contents. access files in folder on other computer, play files and change settings on local machine. make sense now?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Changes to audio, video card settings, not to the file..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    u can make audio/video settings changes to whatever computer is playing the file.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like VNC is working, Does not disable vid on remote comp, Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. *cough* hacked xbox *cough*
    Hunting, sure i'll go hunting. When is cow season?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My understanding of the issue was that the HTPC is actually in a different room to the TV, and the OP wants to sit in the same room as the TV but control things like audio levels, brightness etc etc whilst watching the TV (not having to be in front of the HTPC in the back room).

Hence the Remote Desktop technology would need to display video and audio on both the device he was using to connect as well as the HTPC in the back room. That why sharing folders has nothing to do with it - it's more about seeing the playing software's interface.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes thats it, VNC works, a little rough for me, have been trying a few more progs, But havent found anything that runs as smooth as win Remote Desktop. As far as the controll for the remote comp...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try TightVNC, and choose the Fast Compression option for the viewer. This should be the best quality IIRC.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. try using it under fast compression, but also limit & lower your colors to 8-bit or even grayscale if possible. I use UltraVNC, and the 64 color palette works well with speed.
    Quote Quote