VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All this chatter about this or that recorder having better or worse encoding is fascinating, but are there any "objective" tests available to compare with? Over at the digital camera review sites - like http:/www.dpreview.com - they have standard test patterns and procedures so people can REALLY compare the performance of the machines.

Is there a DVDR site that does similar in depth analysis? (If not, I smell a $$$ making/losing opportunity.)

I'd think someone could set up a bunch of .dv or uncompressed video files of material that would exercise MPEG encoders. Then folks could use IEEE 1394 or S-Video to run the files through their machines and analyze/compare the results. For over the air material, a "standard" set of unchanging clips could be selected - like the opening of the CBS evening news, or the Today show.

Thoughts?

- Jasen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Test patterns are lab tests, mean nothing in the real world.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It does sound like a good idea.
    If I have some time I will look around these forums and see what every one is doing to test their machine. Then compile the resullts and maybe come up with something.
    Quote Quote  
  4. LS is right and even then there is a difference
    between the "professional eye" and that of
    a layperson. I have yet to see a working
    real world standard test for DV quality that does
    not require special equipment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    LS is right and even then there is a difference between the "professional eye" and that of a layperson.
    Very true. Many people, even on VH, will put up with macroblocks and chroma noise and all kinds of other flaws. The old "6 hour looks excellent to me" crowd. So no matter what tests you perform, some moron will always prefer his dog poop over the gourmet truffle.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. I tried to duplicate gshelly61's recorder test methods on this thread and ended up doing a bunch more. I think we learned a lot about what works and what does not. One of the conditions was that only freeware be used for the tests so the software would be readily available to all. The limiting factor for now is that the size of the file uploads limits the length of the video. So far no easy solution to that issue.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263530

[edit] Speaking of cameras, I was a bit shocked years ago to learn that the "point and shoot" cameras made all the money and supported the continuance of "high end" cameras which did make much if any profit.
    Quote Quote