VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! I'm recording a game and my raw files are in TGA image sequence. I just want to know if there will be a difference in quality between Uncompressed to Lossy VS. Lossless to Lossy? Does a Lossy Video taken from Uncompressed will have better quality than a Lossy Video taken from Lossless? Or will a straight conversion from my raw tga image sequence to lossy would have a better quality? Software is virtualdub using its uncompressed feature and lossless/lossy would be from x264vfw. That is all thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by raphaelolaguer View Post
    I just want to know if there will be a difference in quality between Uncompressed to Lossy VS. Lossless to Lossy?
    No. Unless you do something wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    May I ask a question again. I uploaded a 35 MBPS bitrate video on youtube using multipass on x264vfw. I downloaded my video after uploading and used mediainfo to view the bitrate and it shows my video bitrate is 2897 kbps. What is going on? I then uploaded a lossless video with 267 MBPS and downloaded it and mediainfo shows it only has around 2000 kbps as well. I followed youtube's recommended video settings in my 35 MBPS video, they turn it below 3000 kbps. I ignored the recommended settings and uploaded the video at its best quality which is the lossless and youtube turn it below 3000 kbps. What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A Lossless-ly compressed video is identical (upon decompression) to its Uncompressed video source. (Actually, to be literal engineer about it, decompressed LL vid = decompressed source vid regardless of the compression of the source).

What's going on is that YT re-compresses EVERYTHING that is uploaded to it. What you are getting from YT's download is partly determined by your own available DL bandwidth (speed). This can be partly bypassed using a dedicated YT-downloader. Even that won't ever get you back your original, but you will at least have option to choose from a larger range of qualities (up to a point). You are not doing anything wrong, you just have unreasonable expectations. What you are doing right is giving YT a SUPPOSEDLY high-quality master with which to start from (even if it means the upload takes much longer).

What you can do better is provide YT with an (even bigger) lossless/uncompressed master instead of a lossy master (assuming that is acceptable to them).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Cornucopia/Scott Thanks for the detailed explanation. I notice on youtube that my 35mbps bitrate uploaded video buffers faster than the lossless video that I uploaded which has 267mbps bitrate. Does that mean that YT keeps the original bitrate of the uploaded video? The reason I downloaded my videos from youtube is to check its bitrate, but since my DL speed is really slow (400 kbps) that may be the reason why I keep on getting low bitrates of my videos that I have downloaded.
    Quote Quote