VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Recently my computer's mouse has been acting up. It's actually been going on for a while, but it's gotten worse recently, to the point of being almost intolerable. Often when I click something once it acts like a double-clicked it, making files open when I only wanted to select them. I also have a great deal of difficulty dragging anything, be it a file or a selection, without the mouse quickly letting go. It does this with anything I try to drag. It just lets go without warning. Sometimes I have to try a good dozen times to simply move an item from one place to another. I've had it. Is the problem most likely with my mouse, or my computer's system? My Mac mini runs the newest version of El Capitan, and my computer has moved much slower since I upgraded from Mavericks (can't remember if I had the problem with Yosemite). My knowledgeable friend suggested the El Capitan is probably too much for my computer's operating power. Anyway, could my mouse problems be connected to this?

My mouse doesn't seem to stick or anything, so I don't think it can be a physical issue with the mouse. I don't have a desk, but sit my TV (which I use as a monitor) on a small table and set my mouse and keyboard on my lap, and use my leg as a mousepad. XD I don't think this was a problem at first. My mouse is wireless, but the receiver is less then two feet away from it, so I doubt distance could be an issue (not sure though). It's a Logitech mouse, but I don't know the make and model. But I'm attaching a screenshot I just took. It is pretty old now, so is it just dying on me?

It also has fresh batteries, so that can't be the issue. I also tried holding the reset buttons on my mouse and receiver for 10 seconds each, and the problem persisted as badly as ever. I run diagnostics on my computer, but nothing changes with the mouse. Same with resetting the PRAM.

Any ideas? Do I need to buy a new mouse? This is the only one I have, so I can't test another mouse to see if it's the mouse or the computer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7557.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	37477
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding the 'auto double-click' annoyance: normally that's a symptom of micro-switches going bad.

As for the other problems: probably the mouse circuitry itself is dying.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    So either way it's likely the mouse's fault?
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As last resort you can try to clean the mouse.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  5. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    I can't find a way to open it to clean it. It doesn't appear to open accept for the battery compartment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-mouse-with-double-click-problem/

But it is really last chance how to repair it....

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With some of my Logitech mouses, after you remove the top battery cover, there is a small phillps head screw exposed.
    Then there are four more under the 'skid pads' on the bottom of the mouse. Removing all those allows the cover to
    be separated. But there are many models of their mouses.

The problem is the R and L mouse switches on mine are sealed and unless there is debris on top of them, no way to clean them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I abuse my mouses, so I end up replacing them every 5 months or so. Either the left clicker stops responding or you get the double click symptom. So I usually buy the cheapest wired mouse on offer from Logitech (B100). I like them and have a bunch of backups.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jeikobu View Post
    So either way it's likely the mouse's fault?
    Yes, and replacing it is just a matter of time

Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    I abuse my mouses, so I end up replacing them every 5 months or so. Either the left clicker stops responding or you get the double click symptom. So I usually buy the cheapest wired mouse on offer from Logitech (B100). I like them and have a bunch of backups.
    The mouse that came with my (now deceased) Dell Dimension 4300 lasted 11 years

OTOH, the cheapo mouse with which I replaced it in 2012 lasted 3 years...

and the next cheapo mouse that I bought lasted only 3 months

As for the auto-double-click problem... for the Windows users at least, there exists a software-workaround, MouseFix.exe
    Quote Quote  
  10. borrow a mouse from others, and see whether the same problem still there or not. than u can know it is the problem of the mouse or the mac. but personally speaking, it seems the mouse need to be fixed by the staff, maybe go to the repair shop.
    Quote Quote