VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I need a software to convert video and reduce size to size that i want and suggest any type compatible for that size.
    Please offer.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. locotus
    Search Comp PM
    Guess you want to downresize your video without converting. The proper answer depends on what kind of video you have.
    (Xvid, x264, mpeg2, etc...)
    Please give us more information.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mkv... mp4 ... avi ....flv ... Xvid ... x264 ... mpeg2
    Web videos
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    which one is suitable for reduce size in size that i entered?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ashkan_vpm2 View Post
    Hi,
    Goodbye.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Reduce size = Re-encode = Lose quality.

NO other way to do it, unless by reduce size you mean edit/trim the clip (so 2 hours -> 15 minutes), or remove unwanted extra streams (so V+A1+A2+A3+S1+S2 -> V+A1).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ashkan_vpm2 View Post
    All of them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ashkan_vpm2 View Post
    Mostly, those encoders are front ends for one encoder which is called x264. So for example you use Handbrake, that is the one with most downloads if I could guess. It has nice graphical interface but when you star encoding , video part is encoded by x264. Then it is put into MP4 or MKV container. You choose which one.

So if you ask which one is the best, there is no answer for that, because it only depend on settings that you set before encoding. If you insist on reducing the size , use mediainfo that tells you what was original video bitrate. Then within Handbrake choose your new average bitrate and use 2pass VBR for encoding video. Remember audio will accumulate some volume also. So if original video had 2000kbps and you choose 1000kbps, video could be roughly half in size. Sure quality will go down as well. If you do not like it. Then you must also reduce video resolution and encode it again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Sure quality will go down as well. If you do not like it. Then you must also reduce video resolution and encode it again.
    Keep in mind that reducing the resolution is reducing the quality too -- just in a different way.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Definitively, but it could be a trade off, for example 1920x1080 reduced to 1280x720, which is not bad if watching TV like most people do and with not TV's with screen too big. Not much input data here ....
    Quote Quote