VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recorded five TV programs on a humax recorder, and copied them to a flash drive with the intention of converting on my system. I always use a Fat32 flash drive but this time I picked up one formatted as NTFS. Copying across to my computer I saw extra files for each programme ( .hmt, .thm .nts ) but mistakenly didn't think they were relevant, so only copied the ts files. I then wrote over the flash drive. I did manage to recover hmt/thm/nts for two programmes and they did convert ok. The others recovered but were corrupted. I therefore only have the ts files to work with ( about 2gb each). Is there a program that will let me convert using just the ts file without the additional hmt/thm/nts ? They won't open in vlc/freemake/vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Never used a Humax recorder myself, but is I remember correctly:
    • .thm files are small thumbnail images used for chapter point images
    • .nts files hold navigation data
    • .hmt contains additional meta data like the program synopses, recording dates, etc.
    also the .ts files probably lack parts of their typical header data and the .nts files are required for decoding
    -> if vlc can't playback .ts files without the .nts files there is probably no way to play them.
    (As a 'shot in the blue' I would try if it helps to remux the .ts files with mkvtoolnix to .mkv,...)

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. TS-Doctor said PMT is invalid/missing and it cannot be created. Mkvtoolnix processed the file but the mkv created is about 4k, so obviously cannot repair it either. However I think I've found the issue. The programmes were recorded in HD, which cannot be copied because of copyright restrictions, though SD has no restrictions. I'll have to remember this ! Thanks again.
    Quote Quote