VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've been using Picasa to import and catalog my extensive video clips.

Recently I upgraded my hardware to an HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF and re-installed two HDDs, one of which contained my video clips.

But my Install Tech didn't give those drive their original designations; as a result Drive "F" became Drive "E," etc.

When I reinstalled Picasa to Drive E, and tried to Import the video files on now-Drive E, it didn't Import them.

So what's the solution?

Do I rename the drives their original designations?

I know that process is possibly tricky and possibly fraught with minefields....
    Last edited by D.V. Dee; 26th Dec 2020 at 12:45. Reason: Change in text
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am not familiar with this software but 'catalog' suggests some form of database.

So the first question is if you still have the original installation of the software which points to the files originally on Drive F.

Allocating Drive letters is not a particularly difficult task. However if the drive has software then you would also have to alter any short-cuts to it or re-install the software especially if the software also depends on files which would now be on a different drive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I don't have the original installation which points to the files on former Drive F, but I did install Picasa to Drive E.

Looks like I'll have to re-Import all the video files to the new location on Drive E.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DV, Picasa should pick up all your media files, including those videos, regardless of where they are, even when they have been moved.

File>Add Folder to Picasa will allow you to nominate the "new" drive.

Do I rename the drives their original designations?

I know that process is possibly tricky and possibly fraught with minefields....
    Nah, it's a piece of cake.

RC on "This PC"
    Choose "Manage"
    Choose "Disk Management"
    RC on the drive you want to rename and then choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Windows will not allow you to rename a drive to a letter that is already being used.

I have always installed Picasa on the C drive (my Windows drive).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for Picasa info.

Damn, I already have a Drive F!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reading the subsequent reply it matters not what the drive letter is since any previous settings (where the videos originally were) has been lost.

But if you insist on having the videos on drive F the drive renaming is done in two passes. Assuming that G is the next available letter, you allocate drive F as drive G. The you can allocate drive E as drive F. Drive E is now not used so if you wanted to you could allocate drive G as Drive E.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Belated Thanks!
    Quote Quote