VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

So, only 20 tapes left to capture. So I'm almost at the end of the run!

The majority of the captures as some of you will remember, were from my Father's camcorder. It was pretty OK. The problems you guys did mentioned were a small Chroma offset, and some minor time-based issues I didn't notice without being pointed (like the wiggly numbers of the date). So nothing major to my eye at least.

I recently start capturing content that was recorded directly from the TV (cartoon, series, etc). Besides a lot of noise (you can easily see the Athena reception wasn't that good ). there some re-occurring issues I'm curious to know how they are being called, and why they occur (unless all are faulty tape/lack of TBC). Here goes:

Problem_1.avi - Once in a while, horizontal line will "blink" (or pop, or flick) for a second. On this specific video - you can see it often on the top section, but it varies on other videos.

Problem_2.avi - It's again some sort of (smaller) Horizontal lines that blinks, and you can clearly see the line is black in color. This one is quite strange really - because while trying to understand what's happening here, I rewind to this section (I capture all the tape from start to finish) - and watching it a 2nd time, It didn't happened (and I took a capture without it). That's the way I fix that problem mostly. Could it be it manfiest on longer play-time?

Problem_3.avi - The Horizontal line manifest here as a steady line that move from top to bottom. Sometimes I'm able to solve it or at least improve it by fast forwarding/re-winding the tape. It's mostly happens at the very start of the video. I even had a single tape that I looks empty when I tried to watch it. However, after completely fast-forwarding, re-winding - It's got better. Couple of more cycles like those - and the tapes has no issues at all.

So I wonder. We know the setup is decent. Is those error are due bad tapes? If all three were time based issues, why they didn't manifest on the Camcorder footage?

I also seen some problems like at the above show on the cartoon a, but the exact moment where cartoon b started (recorded on a different time), the problem stopped. Could tracking/time issues depend on the that specific recording?

Thanks as always!
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Okiba; 20th Oct 2020 at 13:01.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did some research on Problem 3. I tried couple of videos - and that indeed seems to be like a bad Tape. Probably a better video with TBC/NDR can results better capture even if the tape is very old.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Okiba View Post
    Did some research on Problem 3. I tried couple of videos - and that indeed seems to be like a bad Tape. Probably a better video with TBC/NDR can results better capture even if the tape is very old.
    Was problem 2 recorded in S-VHS or S-VHS ET? And then played back on a non-SVHS deck?
    That's the only time I've seen these lines
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's hard to tell. I was around 6-7 when It was recorded. I currently don't use SVHS Deck, but I don't know what the original was
    But as I mentioned, I can make it disappear on most video if I rewind/ff abit. So I guess It'a also timing issue of some sort?
    Quote Quote  
  5. One more issues I would love to hear if it's solvable with post-processing plugins:

Jumping frame. See the attached video. Note the all the frame moving up and down. Strange enough, this is only happen on a Deck with DVD/VHS Combo (so it's a side effect of the digitization of the signal). When a VHS Only Deck (the single is not getting digitized) this doesn't happen (nor the chroma issues at the bottom), but instead I see those green lines (attached) at the top. So I assume the combo unit tries to fix that (and it does, but this or maybe more issues makes the final images jump up and down).

Anything I can do with either? (fix green lines on non-combo capture or image stabilization on combo capture?)

Thanks!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenlines.png
Views:	23
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	55630  

Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Okiba; 27th Oct 2020 at 13:44.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Updating in case any future readers will find it useful. It seems that most of the problem above oriented from two things - setup, and tape quality.

Problem 1 and 3, oriented from bad tapes. I tested the same tape on multiple Decks, and it always does the same.
    Problem 2, was a side effect of using Combo deck (with both VHS and DVD). The signal is being digitized, which all around does improve quality on most videos. But It's having issues to handle tapes with a lot of issues, and that translate to all kind of strange artifacts. When using a straight VHS deck (without signal digitization), that didn't happen.

Problem 4 was lack of a good setup. What I did was to take the VHS Deck only, play the tape in it (so there wasn't any shaking/chroma offset issues), and connect the VHS Deck to the Combo Deck (as pass-through, so the signal got digitized - and those green lines are gone).

So yea. Setup setup setup, and keep good care of your tapes!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Problem2: there are many threads around here about "comets".
    Quote Quote  
  8. I wonder why I was only able to reproduce it on the digitized signal. Thank you for giving a name to the problem, I will search around for comets
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okiba-I changed your thread title so more people can help,in the future use a more descriptive title.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Okiba-I changed your thread title so more people can help,in the future use a more descriptive title.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote