VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The big online retailer Newegg is showing a NAS server from Qnap and software that
    says it will encode on the fly from a video source.

I have no knowledge of what this is about and wondered if anyone knows of this
    capture hardware and software.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107170
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's a DLNA server that can transcode video files on-the-fly when streaming to a DLNA client.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Digital Living Network Alliance. Sounds like a cyber punk anime I know.
    There's a bit of explanation at wiki I just was able to see.

It's not applicable to me in the context I'm asking. I have no cable tv, premium services etc.

But does the DLNA capture in like manner to a cable capture device -- DVA I think is the term? And what format does this on- the- fly transcoding produce? Are you familiar with the Qnap software? How is it better than what a DVA does? You turn it on for your show, have it record everything but the commercials and play back as a file. That's just my understanding of it which may be faulty.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    But does the DLNA capture in like manner to a cable capture device
    It's not going to capture anything. It's for streaming video files from the QNAP to DLNA client devices.

Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    And what format does this on- the- fly transcoding produce?
    It produces video transcoded to a codec the DLNA client can play. Usually MPEG 2 or AVC. The transcoded video isn't stored anywhere, it's streamed to the client.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for answering. I don't think it applies to my needs or applications.
    Quote Quote