VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use MediaInfo and GSpot when needing more precise info about the duration of a video track. Quite often GSpot offers more info but too frequently fails to identify frame rate (that Win File Explorer is able to identify in Properties -> Detials tab). So I use these three options. Is there a single app, like mediaInfo that does it all, like give detailed info about the duration of video (e.g. 5 min 7.508 secs)? I find detailed info valuable when using my DAW to stretch audio for sync with video and other projects.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you try avinaptic (I know it's 9 years old but it specify video time to milliseconds)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried the portable version of AVInaptic, opened a WMV file then looked at all the features. If info about the duration of a video clip is included in AVInaptic, it is well-hidden. Moreover, on a high res. screen, the text is almost unreadable. I guess I'm stuck with using three or four for video specs. But thank you kindly for trying to led a hand.
    Quote Quote  
  4. an old alternative: ffprobe (doc: https://ffmpeg.org/ffprobe.html)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are using a tool to work with syncing with video, MediaInfo ought to be fine for you. Remember, video has a much coarser timebase (usu. at best 1/60th sec vs audio sampling which is at 1/48000th sec).

IOW, you don't NEED a tool to give you detailed millisecond or microsecond info about the audio if it is trying to be either in sync or out of sync with ref to the video because the nearest step size is so great compared even to the granularity of the audio samples.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. MediaInfo CLI allows to display the duration more accurately, either with the -f option which outputs the full list of available fields in all available formats, or by using a custom-made template. The option to define the accuracy of the duration should definitely be included in the GUI version.

Example of "mediainfo.exe -f [FILE]" output for a MKV file :
    Code:
    File size                                : 13812983028
    File size                                : 12.9 GiB
    File size                                : 13 GiB
    File size                                : 13 GiB
    File size                                : 12.9 GiB
    File size                                : 12.86 GiB
    Duration                                 : 9873888
    Duration                                 : 2 h 44 min
    Duration                                 : 2 h 44 min 33 s 888 ms
    Duration                                 : 2 h 44 min
    Duration                                 : 02:44:33.888
    Duration                                 : 02:44:36;08
    Duration                                 : 02:44:33.888 (02:44:36;08)
    Overall bit rate                         : 11191525
    Overall bit rate                         : 11.2 Mb/s
    Frame rate                               : 23.976
    Frame rate                               : 23.976 FPS
    Frame count                              : 236736
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-11-18 00:55:14
    File creation date                       : UTC 2017-07-21 01:29:08.205
    File creation date (local)               : 2017-07-21 03:29:08.205
    File last modification date              : UTC 2017-07-21 01:31:13.549
    File last modification date (local)      : 2017-07-21 03:31:13.549
    Writing application                      : mkvmerge v5.6.0 ('Kenya Kane') built on May 27 2012 16:44:04
    Writing application                      : mkvmerge v5.6.0 ('Kenya Kane') built on May 27 2012 16:44:04
    Writing library                          : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0
    Writing library                          : libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0
    Quote Quote  
  7. Boy, this is a great forum: I always get intelligent answers. Thanks to all for the good info.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    Boy, this is a great forum: I always get intelligent answers. Thanks to all for the good info.

Exactly. One of the best on the web.
    Sword is no substitute for kitchen-knife.
    Quote Quote