VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Roosvelt View Post
    1200 DVD 500 BR and 100 UHD.
    It may make sense to get a separate computer for ripping just because of the volume of material you'll be working with.

But once again, you don't need a monster CPU or GPU. You don't even need a lot of memory. The GPU will not be used for anything. The CPU will spend most of its time waiting for I/O to complete. A faster CPU will just have more/faster cores sitting around doing nothing. You may want a better CPU for other things in case you plan to use the computer for something else later on.

I haven't ripped a DVD in ages. But as a quick test, I have and old version of DVD Fab ripping a DVD right now on an 8 year old Intel i5 2500K system. It's showing about 6 percent CPU usage and the DVDFab process is only using about 230 MB of memory. A second test using DVD Decrypter shows only 1 or 2 percent CPU usage and is only using 30 MB of memory.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Oct 2019 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for your NAS, 48TB is a good amount, but it will fill up quicker than you think. You don't want to have to re-rip your discs like I did. On the conservative side, you're looking at ~30TB for your discs (6GB/DVD * 1200 discs, 35GB/Blu-Ray * 500 discs, 50GB/UHD * 100 discs). I swapped out almost all my 4TB drives to 8TB+ drives a couple of years ago because I realized it wouold be more cost effective than buying more multi-bay enclosures.

Plus be sure to have at least one backup, two would be better of everything on another set of drives or Cloud. RAID in any form isn't a backup solution. In addition to my goof-up of deleting both the primary and backup of my rips, I've also (several times), knocked my 8TB external drive off the desktop, once immediately after I completed the transfer! One the main reasons I now keep my bare drives in multi-bay enclosures.
    Last edited by lingyi; 27th Oct 2019 at 17:34.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Roosvelt View Post
    It may make sense to get a separate computer for ripping just because of the volume of material you'll be working with.

But once again, you don't need a monster CPU or GPU. You don't even need a lot of memory. The GPU will not be used for anything. The CPU will spend most of its time waiting for I/O to complete. A faster CPU will just have more/faster cores sitting around doing nothing. You may want a better CPU for other things in case you plan to use the computer for something else later on.

I haven't ripped a DVD in ages. But as a quick test, I have and old version of DVD Fab ripping a DVD right now on an 8 year old Intel i5 2500K system. It's showing about 6 percent CPU usage and the DVDFab process is only using about 230 MB of memory. A second test using DVD Decrypter shows only 1 or 2 percent CPU usage and is only using 30 MB of memory.
    Thanks a lot for your test Jagabo !!
    Ok so it’s a very poor cpu and ram usage, hope it’s the same at least for BR because I guess UHD will be more demanding
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    As for your NAS, 48TB is a good amount, but it will fill up quicker than you think. You don't want to have to re-rip your discs like I did. On the conservative side, you're looking at ~30TB for your discs (6GB/DVD * 1200 discs, 35GB/Blu-Ray * 500 discs, 50GB/UHD * 100 discs). I swapped out almost all my 4TB drives to 8TB+ drives a couple of years ago because I realized it wouold be more cost effective than buying more multi-bay enclosures.

Plus be sure to have at least one backup, two would be better of everything on another set of drives or Cloud. RAID in any form isn't a backup solution. In addition to my goof-up of deleting both the primary and backup of my rips, I've also (several times), knocked my 8TB external drive off the desktop, once immediately after I completed the transfer! One the main reasons I now keep my bare drives in multi-bay enclosures.
    You’re totally right and I’m agree with you Lingyi, that’s why I’ve planed to improve and increase my storage capacity too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Roosvelt View Post
    Ok so it’s a very poor cpu and ram usage, hope it’s the same at least for BR because I guess UHD will be more demanding
    No, UHD will not be more demanding for ripping ISO images. Remember the decrypter isn't decompressing and/or recompressing the video. It's simply reading data off the disc, decrypting it, and writing it to the hard drive. The max data transfer rate of a BD drive reading a regular Blu-ray disc vs. a Ultra HD Blu-ray disc is the same (unless the drive artifically limits transfer rates). So it's the same amount of work per unit time. UHD may take longer to rip because there's more data, but not more CPU power over that time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

I found this interesting since I've never given thought to CPU/RAM usage when ripping, especially since as I posted earlier, I once had three drives ripping DVDs simultaneously on my old Quad Core system.

On my I7 Kaby Lake system, I ripped/remuxed both the DVD and Blu-Ray of Christoper Robin (movie only) with MakeMKV. The CPU and RAM usage were virtually identical. AFAIK, MakeMKV is single-threaded only.

CPU - ~4% average usage, 5.8% peak
    RAM ~400MB (DVD)
    ~350MB (Blu-Ray)

So even if UHD ripping doubled the CPU usage, it would still be no strain whatsoever on virtually any system. Reference my post on Page 1 on this thread in which the DVD rip/remux speed on my AMD A6 laptop was virtually identical as on this system. Also note that despite the Blu-Ray being nearly 5x larger (32GB vs 6.2GB), the rip/remux time only doubled due to the higher read speed of the Blu-Ray (20MB/s max vs 8.2MB/s max).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I said before, the harder thing will be to find an internal UHD reader compatible and listed on DVDFab’s website.
    A member of MakeMKV's forum sells drives that come already flashed with the right firmware. They are supposed to work with any UHD Blu-ray ripping software. He monitors this thread for requests: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17829
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    As I said before, the harder thing will be to find an internal UHD reader compatible and listed on DVDFab’s website.
    A member of MakeMKV's forum sells drives that come already flashed with the right firmware. They are supposed to work with any UHD Blu-ray ripping software. He monitors this thread for requests: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17829
    Thanks a lot guys for all your answers, I really appreciate and thanks Usually_quiet I think I’ll go this way. I’ll let you know
    Last edited by Roosvelt; 28th Oct 2019 at 19:14.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi guys, finally I’ve found a great deal with an i7 4790k SSD 240Go 16Go RAM 1To hard drive and a GTX 660 for only 350€ 1 year warranty !!!

And as recommended by Usually_quiet, I’ve ordered an LG WH16NS60 at 155€

With the reader buit in with the PC, it tooks me 48mn for 44Go to have an ISO of a BR with DVDFab.

Now I’ve to install the new UHD LG and test.
    Quote Quote