VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got a drive that *supposedly* should be able to read 4k. I'm not expecting it to be able to do it realtime, but it won't even show up in file explorer. Is there any way I can get the drive to recognize it?

Here's the drive I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD39P6A?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    That is a Pioneer.
    Where did you get the idea that it is 4K compatible?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    That is a Pioneer.
    Some of the Q&As on it claimed it was. Besides, I can and will just return it. Are there any drives that are 4k capable?
    Last edited by syrpent; 20th Apr 2019 at 15:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that drive is advertised as bdxl, but that's not 4k. you need a drive that is labeled as 4k UHD compatible. even the bdxl part is questionable on that pioneer as many reviews say that bdxl was removed from it's firmware.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    that drive is advertised as bdxl, but that's not 4k. you need a drive that is labeled as 4k UHD compatible. even the bdxl part is questionable on that pioneer as many reviews say that bdxl was removed from it's firmware.
    Okay, I wasn't aware of that, I'm very new to blu ray. If bdxl is HD, what is 4k called?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by syrpent View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Okay, I wasn't aware of that, I'm very new to blu ray. If bdxl is HD, what is 4k called?
    ultra HD (UHD) - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129090&Description=4K%20UHD%...-090-_-Product
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    That is a Pioneer.
    Some of the Q&As on it claimed it was. Besides, I can and will just return it. Are there any drives that are 4k capable?
    Go to http://makemkv.com and check
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The most complete list of true UHD/4K drives that I know about (from https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108) is:
    Pioneer BDR-S11J-X (internal)
    Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK (internal)
    Pioneer BDR-211UBK (internal)
    Pioneer BDR-211JBK (internal)
    Pioneer BDR-211EBK (internal)
    Pioneer BDR-XD06J-UHD (external)
    Pioneer BDR-XD07J-UHD (external)
    Pioneer BDR-UD04B (laptop)
    Logitec LBD-PUD6U3L (external)
    Logitec LBD-PVA6UCVBK (external)
    Logitec LBD-PVA6U3V (external)
    Buffalo BRUHD-PU3-BK (external)
    LG WH16NS60 (internal)
    LG BH16NS60 (internal)
    LG BP60NB10 (external)
    LG BU40N (laptop)
    LG BU50N (laptop)

However, there are significant hurdles to using them in the form of hardware, OS, and software requirements that must be satisfied in order to use any of them to play commercial UHD Blu-ray discs. (I'm working on acquiring everything needed to play commercial UHD Blu-ray discs with a PC.)

There are also some BDXL drives termed "UHD friendly" that when equipped with older firmware can be used for UHD Blu-ray ripping and for playing video ripped from UHD Blu-ray but, even so, there are still GPU requirements which need to be met for playback with VLC or other unlicensed/non-commercial players.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The most complete list of true UHD/4K drives that I know about (from https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13271422&postcount=108) is:
    LG WH16NS60 (internal)
    LG BH16NS60 (internal)
    LG BP60NB10 (external)
    LG BU40N (laptop)
    LG BU50N (laptop)

However, there are significant hurdles to using them in the form of hardware, OS, and software requirements that must be satisfied in order to use any of them to play commercial UHD Blu-ray discs. (I'm working on acquiring everything needed to play commercial UHD Blu-ray discs with a PC.)

There are also some BDXL drives termed "UHD friendly" that when equipped with older firmware can be used for UHD Blu-ray ripping and for playing video ripped from UHD Blu-ray but, even so, there are still GPU requirements which need to be met for playback with VLC or other unlicensed/non-commercial players.
    My ROG Maximus x hero has HDMI 1.4b, is that enough to work?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    LG WH16NS60 (internal)
    LG BH16NS60 (internal)
    LG BP60NB10 (external)
    LG BU40N (laptop)
    LG BU50N (laptop)

My ROG Maximus x hero has HDMI 1.4b, is that enough to work?
    HDMI 1.4b is not enough for playing commercial UHD Blu-ray with any version of PowerDVD Ultra that supports UHD Blu-ray playback.

[Edit]
    System Requirements for Commercial Ultra HD Blu-ray playback:

Optical Drive
    A true 4K/UHD Blu Ray Drive.

Processor:
    Intel 7th generation (Kaby Lake) Core i processor integrated with Intel HD Graphics 630 or Intel Iris™ Graphics 640.
    -or-
    Intel 8th generation (Coffee Lake) Core i processors integrated with Intel UHD Graphics 630 or Iris Plus Graphics 655.

Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only if a display is powered by Intel Graphics and supports HDCP 2.2. If your computer includes more than one graphics processor, Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only on the display that is connected and powered by Intel Graphics.

Display:
    Display device with HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 connection interface, and must support HDCP 2.2.

Motherboard:
    Must support Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology. The Intel SGX feature needs to be enabled in the BIOS settings and allocated with 128 MB or above memory space. Note: The BIOS must have the ability to turn on SGX. SGX activation via a "software controlled" feature isn't sufficient.

Must have an HDMI 2.0 port or Displayport 1.2 port.

The connection port embedded on the mainboard must support HDCP 2.2. For laptop PCs, please refer to the specification of your laptop to see if the external display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort) supports HDCP 2.2 output.

To view HDR 10 video, a mainboard that supports exporting HDR 10 signal is required.

Windows 10 1709 or later.
    Intel® Graphics Windows® 10 DCH Drivers
    Latest Intel Management Engine
    Latest SGX Drivers.

Player Software:
    PowerDVD Ultra, version 17, 18, or 19.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Apr 2019 at 18:28.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More on the subject of HDMI 1.4b...

I had forgotten that Intel added the ability to supply HDCP 2.2 to HDMI 1.4b for these processor families in drivers and firmware released last year. I ran some tests today with my Coffee Lake system connected to the HDMI 2.0 port on my monitor using HDMI 1.4b on the PC. My system passed Cyberlink Ultra HD Blu-ray Advisor for UHD Blu-ray playback. so an HDMI 1.4b port on a Coffee Lake or Kaby Lake Core i system could be used for UHD Blu-ray playback because it does supply HDCP 2.2 with the latest drivers and firmware for the iGPU. (The 4K/UHD display/TV still needs an HDMI 2.0 port for HDCP 2.2 compliance.)

Although a motherboard's HDMI 1.4b port apparently could work for UHD Blu-ray playback with the last 3 versions of Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra running on a Coffee Lake or Kaby Lake Core i system, HDMI 1.4b has some drawbacks for UHD Blu-ray playback. HDMI 1.4b on my Coffee Lake system supports 2160p but only up to 30Hz, and it does not support HDR-10.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Apr 2019 at 23:32. Reason: Clarity
    Quote Quote  
  12. If I just want to rip 4k blu rays, do I need a hdmi port 2.0?
    Also, my gpu has hdmi 2.0b, would that work?
    Last edited by syrpent; 21st Apr 2019 at 22:54.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I just want to rip 4k blu rays, do I need a hdmi port 2.0?
    Also, my gpu has hdmi 2.0b, would that work?
    I'm not planning to rip UHD Blu-ray, but from what I remember reading, I don't think that you'd need HDMI 2.0 just to rip . However, if you want to watch the ripped video using a PC for playback, HDMI 2.0 would be very helpful especially for HDR-10 support. The good news is that HDMI 2.0 on a video card that supports HDR-10 would work just fine for watching ripped video, assuming the GPU can decode HEVC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Apr 2019 at 23:21.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Would a bdr-s11j-x play 4k? If my mother board has USB 1.4b and my 1080 has USB 2.0b, would this drive work with my computer to be able to play/rip 4k or 3d movies?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would a bdr-s11j-x play 4k? If my mother board has USB 1.4b and my 1080 has USB 2.0b, would this drive work with my computer to be able to play/rip 4k or 3d movies?
    MakeMKV's forum section on drives is here: https://makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=568866f898b5d13b19cde3c668151f0f

MakeMKV maintains a list of "friendly" drives and "official" LG drives that work for ripping at https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832. There are no Pioneer burners listed in the "friendly" drive category or official UHD drive category that may be used for ripping.

However, be aware that most if not of the drives on MakeMKV's list had firmware revisions applied to prevent them from being used for UHD Blu-ray ripping when the manufacturer found out that these models could be used for that purpose. If you buy one of the recommended drives now, you will probably need to roll back the firmware to an earlier version, which is somewhat risky.

As I wrote, I'm not going to be ripping UHD Blu-rays and I have told you what I know about it, so I must leave any additional legwork on that subject to you and other members of this forum.

An NVIDIA GTX 1080 has the ability to decode HEVC and has HDMI 2.0b, so it should be able to supply hardware accelerated decoding and 2160p at 60Hz, plus, it supports HDR-10. It should be able to play a UHD Blu-ray rip without problems using software that supports hardware accelerated HEVC decoding and HDR. However, your GPU won't work for playing commercial UHD Blu-ray discs with PowerDVD Ultra because of the Blue-ray Disc Association's DRM requirements for playback using a PC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd Apr 2019 at 15:09. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote