VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. mightymark
    Search Comp PM
    Six days ago I purchased Pavetube's http://www.pavtube.com/video_converter/ It cost me $98.50 after taxes and registration fees. My computer is new and I played many Blu-rays on it. I even used their trial version to rip some without a problem. As soon as I paid for the product I was emailed a activation number. Everything seemed fine until I put a Blu-Ray disc in and got a error message saying "This Blu-ray disk needs a library for AACS decoding and your system don't have it." Now no Blu-Rays won't play at all!. I am using VLC media on windows ten. Pavetube won't answer any of my support e-mails and I am afraid I lost my money. I called my bank and they already got my money. Can you guys give me some advice? Why would my computer play all Blu-rays for months up until activation of Pavetube's Video Converter Ultimate software?
    Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
  2. mightymark
    Search Comp PM
    here's the link I ordered it from. http://www.multipelife.com/video-converter-ultimate
    Quote Quote  
  3. A little confused here. Did you actually convert something then try to play it with VLC? The program you mentioned seems to be a converter not a player. But I may be mistaken. Need more info. Like exactly why were you trying to convert a Blue-ray disk?

http://www.pavtube.com/video_converter/ has a free trial. Why didn't you try that first?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pavtube is, and always has been, crap.
    For many years there, they were also just useless damned spammers.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not understand how a product that is for sale for $53, or even $65, cost you almost $100

Now the issue you are receiving may be nothing to do with this program. vlc is not a Blu-ray player. That it may be able to play some disks with some additional libraries will not apply to new disks. Well not until those libraries are updated.

The real test is to try to play a disk that worked before.
    Quote Quote  
  6. mightymark
    Search Comp PM
    No, I just wanted to rip some of my Blu-rays which I have done many times using MakeMKV. I purchased Pavetube to rip and convert the movie. Their trial version worked great but right after buying their full version my Blu-ray player or computer quit recognizing the Blu-rays. I restarted the computer several times and now I can't even watch a movie without getting an error message saying ""This Blu-ray disk needs a library for AACS decoding and your system don't have it." It's like they took my money and then sent me a virus.
    Last edited by mightymark; 1st Dec 2018 at 03:26.
    Quote Quote  
  7. mightymark
    Search Comp PM
    It cost me $65.00 and $15.00 for the recovery plan plus $10.00 for 24 hour support service and taxes. I tried the same disk that worked before on their trial version with a watermark but it would not play. Is there another media player besides VLC I could try? Before downloading their product my computer played every Blu-ray I tried. I should of just stayed with MakeMKV. I tried to e-mail Pavetube's support team but they won't reply.
    Last edited by mightymark; 1st Dec 2018 at 03:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you paid for support and are not getting it. Good company that.

Recovery plan ? Can you not download the program and back that up yourself ? Sounds like another scam

Free blu ray players can not, typically, handle AACS encryption. Like I already said there are libraries that offer some support but they are only updated when the updater gets hold of a particular disk. You can try Potplayer but never used it so I have no idea.

I see no claim by PAV about AACS removal/support. Really, DVDFab would have been a better option. Yes. More expensive but ultimately you get what you pay for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Sounds like another scam
    It is.

These are "Chinaware" companies, and do nothing more than slap a craptastic GUI in front of freeware backends. It adds nothing of value to the video community, and simply exists to bilk money from (hopefully American/European) suckers.

Much of their marketing statements are outright lies, or lies by omission. But they're in China, and don't give a $hit.

Note that there are some reputable Chinese firms making good software, including ones that do take freeware as a basis (but then add quality abilities and features not present in the freeware). But I'd say those are a minority, 50/50 at best. So there's more scam software than not.

This has been the case for at least 10 years now.

Things like poor support, zero support, identity theft, info sold to spammers, etc -- those are the norms.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, my full Malwarebytes blocks pavetube.com for possible malware. Another sign of a scam.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mightymark View Post
    No, I just wanted to rip some of my Blu-rays which I have done many times using MakeMKV. I purchased Pavetube to rip and convert the movie. Their trial version worked great but right after buying their full version my Blu-ray player or computer quit recognizing the Blu-rays. I restarted the computer several times and now I can't even watch a movie without getting an error message saying ""This Blu-ray disk needs a library for AACS decoding and your system don't have it." It's like they took my money and then sent me a virus.
    Uninstall the program using a uninstall program like Revo Uninstaller (to remove all traces of the program) and do an anti-virus and malware scan (Malwarebytes free will do fine).
    Next state what you're trying to do (sounds like you're trying to encode to a smaller size) and someone will suggest a program and settings to use.
    Quote Quote  
  12. mightymark
    Search Comp PM
    What I don't understand is how can you rip a Blu-ray disk if the Blu-ray player can't recognize it? And why was I able to watch Blu-ray movies for months until I downloaded their software.
    I don't know if windows 10 is the problem or VLC Media player or Pavetube. I was very concerned about these Chinese scams so I went with Pavetube instead of DvdFab because they said they were located in Minnesota MN. I sent them 4 emails requesting help and 2 requesting a refund but I get no reply. What a scam!
    Quote Quote  
  13. mightymark
    Search Comp PM
    There's a few video's on Youtube suggesting to update the firmware on my Blu-ray player and another video on adding a file to make a library for AACS decoding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0BCdozu2ug It seems pretty hard though, at least for me.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's been established that Pavtube is bad software and you've been scammed on your payment. Cut your losses, completely uninstall Pavtube as recommended and start anew. Trying to fix something that's broken will likely only cause more issues now or down the road. Especially using fixes from Youtube where the instructions are usually specific to the uploader's situation with no feedback, unlike here.

If you're not ripping new Blu-ray releases you may be fine with the free versions of DVDFab and Passkey and MakeMKV. For conversion/encoding, state what you want to do. Container (.mkv, .mp4, .avi, etc), codec (H264, .mpg, .mov, etc.), editing (trim, crop, reisize, filter, etc), filesize and use (streaming, playback on portable devices, etc.). Handbrake and AviDemux will likely do the majority of what you want, though you may have to learn/ask for some AVISynth scripts.

Yes, you'll have to use two or more programs to achieve your goals, but Pavtube and ALL other All-In-One programs are a poor substitute for what can be done with the proper software (most free) and advice that you can receive here (also free).

Edit: Oh, please ask here before downloading/installing any other video related software. As a general rule if it's not known (like Pavtube) to the regulars here, it's likely poor at best or a scam at worst. Some of the posters here are professionals and are very generous with their knowledge. Ask, accept and learn from what they have to say.
    Last edited by lingyi; 2nd Dec 2018 at 03:14.
    Quote Quote  
  15. mightymark
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Guys for your advice. I will take your advice lingi and take my losses but one last question. I see MakeMKV is $50 for the full version. Do you think they are reputable? I know the beta is still out but it wouldn't let me rip after a few times so maybe they want people to purchase the full version.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. The serial usually expires every so often. You will have to obtain a new one here http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 to continue using the beta version.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll cut and paste what I just posted in another thread yesterday:

"Unlike DVDFab and DVD Passkey, MakeMKV doesn't have a delay in updates for new copy protections in the free version. The free version is exactly the same as the paid one. Paying (which you [the poster I was replying to] and I have) is a feel-good/right thing to do for such a great program. The author has stated that while it's in Beta, which it has been since it's introduction, it will never require payment for full functionality (I believe Lighting U.K said the same thing about Imgburn). The reason it's updated every few months (and requires a new download) is because the author is continually fixing bugs (mostly minor by now) and adding support for new copy protection schemes."

MakeMKV, DVDFab and DVD Passkey are highly reputable, regarded and recommended on this forum. If there's any doubt, do a search on this forum and you'll see dozens of recommendations for these programs as well as Handbrake and AVIDemux.

You may not have been able to rip some discs with MakeMKV because it wasn't updated for some new copy protection scheme. MakeMKV typically takes longer to provide breaking of new copy protection than the paid versions of DVDFab or DVD Passkey because it's free and a side project for the author. Or sometimes the disc is dirty or scratched or it's the drive itself. I have two external drives and sometimes have to switch to rip a disc.

Being able to successfully rip and encode discs requires having several different programs available in your software toolbox. Just like you don't just keep one screwdriver in your toolbox and expect to use it for everything.
    Last edited by lingyi; 3rd Dec 2018 at 00:05.
    Quote Quote  
  18. mightymark
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFab had a great sale on black Friday. Most of their products were 50% off and yet I made the mistake of going with Pavetube. Can you believe the last update on Pavetube was march of 2016. I get a message saying "no updates available". How many people around the world are getting scammed? I wished they took PayPal so I could of had a chance of getting my money back. I really loved the videos that the trial version of DVDFab ripped. They looked great! My mistake was that I Googled "The best Blu-ray rippers for windows ten" and DVDFab wasn't on it. I won't believe those anymore. https://www.toptenreviews.com/software/multimedia/best-blu-ray-to-blu-ray-copy-softwar...y-copy-review/
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by mightymark; 3rd Dec 2018 at 23:30.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to hear DVDFab did the job for you!

If you need help converting/encoding your rips I recommend starting a new thread since you and I seem to the only ones regularly here.
    Quote Quote  
  20. mightymark
    Search Comp PM
    I'll do that lingyi, thanks and Happy Holidays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW Those comparison sites are not worth the time of reading them.

They basically only promote the products that they get paid via 'clicks'. And if you read the page that you linked to it states it (in the small print). 'Independent' is a false word.

But the product you bought is NOT the product described so you could hardly form a proper opinion about it.
    Quote Quote