VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone

I have an old VHS tape from high school that I recently had digitized, to learn that it had what I now understand to be tracking errors pretty bad through much of it. I've tried to do a little research on my own to determine if anything could be done to fix it, and it seems like in some cases it's possible, but I thought it would probably be a good idea to just show a clip of it to people who are smart about this topic before I try to pay someone for a fruitless restoration attempt. I've attached the clip.

If it looks like it could be fixed or moderately improved, does anyone have recommendations on companies that can do this? There are a few local businesses in my area that digitize tapes, but none of them make any mention of restoration. I'm guessing I'll probably have to ship it somewhere, if in fact there's hope for it.

Thanks in advance to all for any help or advice!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can't be fixed through software.
    My verdict would be that a new capture (digitalization) is needed.
    My guess is that the tape and the used vcr might need cleaning and realignment, but I haven't handled vhs tapes for 20+ years.
    Others probably can tell you whether this can be fixed or not.

Cu Selur

Ps.: Attached an example of what https://pastebin.com/nW4xrSuy would get you with the above file.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Selur; 15th Oct 2022 at 02:57.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you Selur, some search results suggested that this could be fixed with a Time Based Corrector, I suppose that must be used during the capture. I'm wondering if that might work in this case if I send the tape to a place that has one, or if it's too bad for that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The tape itself looks to be in good condition to me. It's in all likelihood the VCR. In my limited experience, a TBC probably wouldn't fix this, because the picture itself looks good and steady. Have you tried adjusting the tracking as it is playing? All VCRs have a tracking adjustment system using the remote. For example, one of my VCRs uses the Program buttons to adjust tracking when playing a tape. When adjusting the tracking, if nothing changes, it could be baked into the tape when it was recorded, but probably not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There is so much noise at the top, and it is so persistent, that there is no way to repair it using software.

A better VCR is always going to provide a better result, but a better operator is even more important. Whoever transferred this tape obviously did not pay much attention during the transfer. Some tapes do not track well. All VCRs have manual tracking adjustment and you can sometimes "tune in" the playback to reduce or eliminate much of the noise. You can at least get it so that you only have a little at the top and/or bottom. You can then crop that out.

The good part of the picture is definitely jumping up and down. A TBC might help, although I suspect most of the jumping is just another artifact from the bad tracking. Some VCRs have a correction circuit for EP tapes and if you enable it, you can sometimes reduce the jumping. However, you have to get the tracking fixed because all the other issues are minor by comparison.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Why is it a 15fps video? It is showing only 1/4 of the samples - is that what they gave you ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Why is it a 15fps video? It is showing only 1/4 of the samples - is that what they gave you ?
    Nah that part is my fault. They gave it to me on a DVD, I'm afraid I don't have much experience in ripping video either. I went for a small file size

Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    The tape itself looks to be in good condition to me. It's in all likelihood the VCR. In my limited experience, a TBC probably wouldn't fix this, because the picture itself looks good and steady. Have you tried adjusting the tracking as it is playing? All VCRs have a tracking adjustment system using the remote. For example, one of my VCRs uses the Program buttons to adjust tracking when playing a tape. When adjusting the tracking, if nothing changes, it could be baked into the tape when it was recorded, but probably not.

I haven't tried myself, as I had a local place transfer it. I do have an old VCR but no remote for it any longer, and I'm not sure I trust it. Your statement gives me hope though that it's likely not the tape

Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    There is so much noise at the top, and it is so persistent, that there is no way to repair it using software.

A better VCR is always going to provide a better result, but a better operator is even more important. Whoever transferred this tape obviously did not pay much attention during the transfer. Some tapes do not track well. All VCRs have manual tracking adjustment and you can sometimes "tune in" the playback to reduce or eliminate much of the noise. You can at least get it so that you only have a little at the top and/or bottom. You can then crop that out.

The good part of the picture is definitely jumping up and down. A TBC might help, although I suspect most of the jumping is just another artifact from the bad tracking. Some VCRs have a correction circuit for EP tapes and if you enable it, you can sometimes reduce the jumping. However, you have to get the tracking fixed because all the other issues are minor by comparison.
    Yeah it doesn't have to be perfect by any means, I just want to get all that noise off of everyone's face, haha.

Based on what both of you have said, it sounds like I just need to find the right place that will know how to make the proper adjustments and there's a good chance it can be done. Which is what I was hoping for, so thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try manually adjusting the tracking to clear up the top part of the frame. If you can't get the entire frame to clear up, capture twice once with the top clean, once with the bottom clean. Then join the two good parts together in an editor.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try manually adjusting the tracking to clear up the top part of the frame. If you can't get the entire frame to clear up, capture twice once with the top clean, once with the bottom clean. Then join the two good parts together in an editor.
    I'll have to find a place that can do it since I don't have the means. If I can get the top of it cleared up, even if I can't get the bottom I'll be pretty happy!
    Quote Quote