VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm currently working on a fan edit of Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii, and it appears the NTSC DVD was transcoded from a PAL source, thus resulting in an odd 2:4 (2 clean, 4 interlaced) interlacing pattern. Does anyone know what an AviSynth script should look like if I plan to deinterlace this?

I've posted a clip of it online, if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by supervehicle; 20th May 2011 at 00:02.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mpeg2Source()
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1)
    SRestore()
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Mpeg2Source()
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1)
    SRestore()
    Hmm, that didn't seem to do it. Some frames were doubled, resulting in a 28.74 frame rate. I'm trying to get back to 25p.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It worked for me with your sample clip. Try specifying the frame rate in SRestore(frate=25.0).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It worked for me with your sample clip. Try specifying the frame rate in SRestore(frate=25.0).
    It worked! Thanks a bunch, jagabo! There is, however, this new flickering line that appears at the bottom of the video every couple frames. Any idea on how to fix that?
    Last edited by supervehicle; 24th Mar 2011 at 21:09.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i think i should know how to make love
    Quote Quote  
  7. You mean the slightly darker line at the bottom of the frame -- even in the original source? You could mask it or try a strong temporal filter just at the bottom of the frame.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You mean the slightly darker line at the bottom of the frame -- even in the original source? You could mask it or try a strong temporal filter just at the bottom of the frame.
    No, it only appears after applying the script.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by supervehicle View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You mean the slightly darker line at the bottom of the frame -- even in the original source? You could mask it or try a strong temporal filter just at the bottom of the frame.
    No, it only appears after applying the script.
    I'm not seeing that. Try updating some of the AviSynth filters. I seem to recall the Yadif used to have a problem like that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, sometimes you get that bobbing effect. Sometimes this works:

Mpeg2Source()
    AddBorders(0,8,0,8)
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1)
    SRestore()
    Crop(0,8,0,-8)

Sometimes using a different bobber works (QTGMC). Sometimes you have to crop and resize or just mask it off by covering it with black.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Yeah, sometimes you get that bobbing effect. Sometimes this works:

Mpeg2Source()
    AddBorders(0,8,0,8)
    Yadif(mode=1, order=1)
    SRestore()
    Crop(0,8,0,-8)

Sometimes using a different bobber works (QTGMC). Sometimes you have to crop and resize or just mask it off by covering it with black.
    Thanks manono. While that didn't fix it entirely, it's definetley less noticable now. But I'll try using a different bobber.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Easiest might be to just cover the bottom with a couple of rows of black pixels:

Letterbox(0,2)

If your TV set has overscan you won't see it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I actually got better results with TomsMoComp. My script looked something like this:

LoadPlugin("TomsMoComp.dll")
    AviSource()
    ConvertToYV12()
    TomsMoComp(-1,5,1)
    SRestore(frate=25.0)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks again, jabago and manono. Really appreciate your help.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Which deinterlacer works best can depend on the nature of the source. You might also try nnedi3() or QTGMC() as manono suggested earlier. QTGMC() almost always gives the best results but it is very slow. A good compromise is QTGMC(preset="fast"). Your sample with QTGMC() attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Apr 2011 at 08:44.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Which deinterlacer works best can depend on the nature of the source. You might also try nnedi3() or QTGMC() as manono suggested earlier. QTGMC() almost always gives the best results but it is very slow. A good compromise is QTGMC(preset="fast").
    Yeah, I gave QTGMC a try, definitely an improvement over Yadif. I personally don't mind if it runs slow, just as long as I'm satisfied with the end result.

My script looked something like this:

AviSource()
    ConvertToYV12()
    QTGMC(preset="fast")
    SRestore(frate=25.0)

Thanks yet again, jagabo.
    Quote Quote  
  17. If you don't mind long encoding times the default settings of QTGMC() will look even better.
    Quote Quote  
  18. So I did another test, this time on a clip with multiple scenes. It turned out alright. I'm assuming, however, that tweaking the scene change detection parameters in MVTools could give better results, although I'm not sure what exactly needs to be added to the script.
    Quote Quote  
  19. So I figured it out.

It's as easy as adding "QTGMC(ThSCD1= ,ThSCD2= )" to my script. Since the defaults are ThSCD1=180 and ThSCD2=98, I raised each parameter a bit (so I went with "ThSCD1=195" and "ThSCD2=113").

Unfortunately, nothing seemed to change.

I could raise the parameters even higher, but that probably isn't a good idea, as scene changes could be mistakenly detected.
    Quote Quote  
  20. You must have an older version of QTGMC(). I have 3.0 now and the thscd1 and thscd2 parameters were removed. The only way to set them in 3.0 is to modify QTGMC.AVSI.

<edit>

No, I have the older one! LOL. I see that 3.31 has reinstated those parameters.

</edit>
    Quote Quote  
  21. What was wrong with the scene changes ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I figured I'd upload some screen caps to better illustrate my issue (this is what I get AFTER deinterlacing with QTGMC):

Here's a frame.

And the following frame (also prior to a scene change).

Next frame.

And the one after that.

Here's another example:

Quote Quote  
  23. That has nothing to do with the deinterlacer used. However you bob it you'll get that crap at scene changes. You can thank the PAL2NTSC standards conversion for that. I know of one workaround, but it involves duplicating the frames both before and after the scene change. Unless you want to go through the whole thing manually using a FreezeFrame on the scene changes where you have the problem. Anyway, here's an automatic way to fix it:

A=Last
    prev = A.selectevery(1,-1)
    next = A.selectevery(1,1)
    SCclean = A.SCSelect(next,prev,A,dfactor=2.0) # 2.0 ~ 5.0
    return(SCclean)

Thanks to Didée for the script. You'll need v0.9 of RemoveDirt for it to work:
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by manono; 28th Apr 2011 at 01:51.
    Quote Quote  
  24. jagabo, manono, thanks a million.

You guys are lifesavers.
    Quote Quote