VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm sorry if someone asked the same question in the past.

I bought a Datavideo TBC-1000 and I tested it with a NTSC tape.
    There's a problem of brightness. It's darker with the TBC.

Here's my equipment :
    JVC HR-S7900U (all OFF/EDIT mode) => TBC-1000 => ADVC1000 (0 IRE)

I hope I don't need to use AviSynth filters for each capture to correct it...

Thanks for the help
    (result attached : left/tbc - right/no tbc)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Up the proamp brightness?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ADVC (which is not suggested!) colorspace conversion (a downgrade conversion!) can result in darker colors.

And TBCs can have problems. (Remember: all TBCs are used, and there can be risks when buying TBCs from places like eBay/etc. Never assume the units is fine, nor believe unknowledgeable seller descriptions of "works" and "tested".)

It may be a workflow conflict, gear hates one another. That happens.

However, neither is ideal. The left is a wee bit dark. And the right is a wee bit too light, luma is getting washed. It may also be the tape(s).

Strangely enough, there are weird situations where a TBC can cause false anti-copy, which results in darkened/lightened pictures. I've only seen that a few times in the past 20 years.

As you can see, lots of possible issues. Process of elimination needed to isolate.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Up the proamp brightness?
    I don't understand. What is this ? Where ? On what : vcr, tbc or capture card ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The ADVC (which is not suggested!) colorspace conversion (a downgrade conversion!) can result in darker colors.

And TBCs can have problems. (Remember: all TBCs are used, and there can be risks when buying TBCs from places like eBay/etc. Never assume the units is fine, nor believe unknowledgeable seller descriptions of "works" and "tested".)

It may be a workflow conflict, gear hates one another. That happens.

However, neither is ideal. The left is a wee bit dark. And the right is a wee bit too light, luma is getting washed. It may also be the tape(s).

Strangely enough, there are weird situations where a TBC can cause false anti-copy, which results in darkened/lightened pictures. I've only seen that a few times in the past 20 years.

As you can see, lots of possible issues. Process of elimination needed to isolate.

As you know, there is two NTSC setting : 0 IRE (more brightness, I always use it) and 7.5 IRE (darker)

It's not the ADVC fault, because without TBC, that was always good. For SECAM, I need ADVC, I will not buy 22 capture cards.
    You think this capture card don't respect the original quality of the tapes ?

TBCs are used, I know, but for me : it's working or it's not working. I can't believe it's working on half of his capacity.
    There is no "buzz" sound somewhere. Looks good to me.

The right version is a wee bit too light : I agree, but I prefer that one. Yes, the tape is like that.

I wanted a TBC to improve my captures... everytime, there's a problem. The perfect method is impossible ?
    There is no way to get material that respect the original quality of tapes, without the "vhs artefacts".
    Each tape is different, ok, but I have to plug/unplug each equipment for each tape and test everything ? Sounds crazy

This video tape was a test. But I guess that will be the same for every other tapes.
    So, all I can to do is "AviSynth" if I want to recover that loss ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355646-USB-capture-device-can-t-adjust-proc-amp#post2238656

It looks like you are doing a DV capture method which I don't know how to mess with. The proamp allows you to tune capture cards but you aren't using a capture card.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I will probably take another capture card.
    I looked everywhere, I know what model is recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Same test, but with a PAL tape :
    JVC HR-S9850 (all OFF/EDIT mode) => TBC-1000 => ADVC1000 (PAL mode)

(result attached : left/no tbc - right/tbc)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The left picture is clipped, the brightness is too high, the right picture has wrong setting on your TBC, if the TBC doesn't have trim pots on the front to adjust the proc amp that means it is out of adjustment and needs to be adjusted by a professional using a test video source and a calibrated monitor or special tester by adjusting the trim pots on the circuit board.
    Quote Quote