VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm looking for a new GPU for editing purposes especially for 4k videos / h.265 codec. Which one should I buy? Do you think the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6gb would do the job?

I'm not looking for high end priced GPUs. Right now I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 and I can edit every video 1080p 60fps without any lag but I can't edit 4k videos because it uses a lot of my CPU, maybe that's because my current card doesn't support HEVC (h.265) although I'm able to watch 4k videos with VLC without any problem. Also I have 32gb RAM + i7 4th gen.

The programs that I use for editing are lightweight virtualdub and avidemux. I just want only a simple cutting and filtering.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't think either of those programs is going to use a GPU for much of anything.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Jun 2018 at 11:35.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It depends what you understand behind GPU editing - there are some editors and they use some embedded GPU functionality to speed-up video processing.
    For example some common tasks as for example blurring (generally kernel filters) are capable to be accelerated by GPU, also editor may use hardware resizer to speed-up video processing, sometimes even encoding can be accelerated (but in rather limited way - mostly trough dedicated ASP that is integral part of GPU silicone) - however more complex signal processing usually is performed purely by CPU.
    Quote Quote