VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i AM EMBARKING ON CONVERTING A LARGE NUMBER OF DVD'S TO STREAMING FILES. Some simple advice if I may ask for it. Lets work on that they are commercially produced dvd's from the 1960-1980 period of TV dramas, like Armchair theatre, Maigret type era. Mixture of Colour and Black and White

Any improvement if I use H265 or H264 and one contact told me to use 50fps for pal 49.97 for ntsc as it would make for a better picture quality. I am using TMPG mastering works 7, I have used their products for decades for my vhs to dvd then to streaming file conversions and have tried Handbrake et al and cannot get away from liking and enjoying using TMPG and the results are very pleasing to my eyes. Any bit rate advice, is over 2000 over kill?

I suppose I can do a few test encodes but I was interested in the views from this forum, thanks very much.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to use makemkv and rip the files with no conversion and stream them that way.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ah I want to enhance the images. So make mkv not suitable?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's not worth trying to enhance sd material,maybe for videos that need to be cleaned up.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have used the smart sharpness and sometimes colour correction tmg filters to make stuff on dvd from the era,60's,70's better.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For BW, you can save some bitrate and reduce potential artifacts by setting chroma to 0.

Frame rates: film based stuff started at 24FPS, so you might do best returning it to that (PAL 2:2 + slowdown, etc., NTSC 3:2 ITVC). If PAL originated video it should stay at 25FPS, if NTSC originated, it should stay at 29.97 FPS.
    If you want video originated stuff to be deinterlaced, you will get the best quality with some form of double rate deint, like QTGMC. Then PAL = 50FPS, NTSC = 59.94FPS.

I trust TMPGENC for mpeg1, and sometimes mpeg2 (HCENC is probably better there). For h264, h265, there are better options, using x264 or x265 codecs, via ffmpeg backend architecture. Hybrid, maybe even Handbrake.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am sourcing material from commercial dvd's, are PAL , how do I know if its Video or film, the shows were broadcast originally in the 1960's and 1970's on British TV. Thank you so much for helping me, I am getting there.
    Last edited by victoriabears; 21st May 2022 at 11:38. Reason: adding info
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  8. PAL DVDs from that era will be a mix of 25i and 25p. Sometimes both in the same show. For example, Survivors (1975, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072572/ ) had inside scenes shot on video, outside scenes shot of film. But you'll have to check them individually. A video that's encoded 25i may contain 25p material. And you may find all kinds of NTSC/PAL conversions.

I would keep the 25p videos at 25p, convert the 25i videos to 50p with QTGMC or maybe Yadif2x, and convert the mixed videos to 50p with QTGMC. Encode them with as h.264 or h.265 depending on your playback needs and encoding speed.

I recommend you post samples as you run across material you don't know how to handle.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    PAL DVDs from that era will be a mix of 25i and 25p. Sometimes both in the same show. For example, Survivors (1975, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072572/ ) had inside scenes shot on video, outside scenes shot of film. But you'll have to check them individually. A video that's encoded 25i may contain 25p material. And you may find all kinds of NTSC/PAL conversions.

I would keep the 25p videos at 25p, convert the 25i videos to 50p with QTGMC or maybe Yadif2x, and convert the mixed videos to 50p with QTGMC. Encode them with as h.264 or h.265 depending on your playback needs and encoding speed.

I recommend you post samples as you run across material you don't know how to handle.
    Thank you so much for a very clear explanation of this aspect of my project
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote