VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have various video editors like Sony Vegas. What I need to do is cut out the parts around red animated text in a video for use as an overlay on another video. I would like to keep the red text and remove everything else if anyone knows how.
    Windows 10, MPC-BE
    Quote Quote  
  2. The general technique would be to animate a quick garbage mask to isolate the text roughly (just to narrow down the area of interest), then apply chroma key for red (this will knock out the text) . You can invert the alpha channel mask to keep the text
    Quote Quote  
  3. For each frame? This is an animated text. Does Sony Vegas do this?
    Windows 10, MPC-BE
    Quote Quote  
  4. yes, vegas does this . Almost every NLE can - it's called "rotoscoping" - but the garbage mask is meant to be very rough, so it's easy and fast to do .

Fine rotoscoping is very time consuming (you're not doing that here, you're just making a "garbage" mask)

You just move the mask every nth frame to roughly cover the animation and set keyframes (you don't need to do it every frame, because vegas will interpolate between keyframes)

Actually, if there is no other red hues in the picture, you can go straight to chroma key without masking
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Take a WHOLE lot less time just creating red text overlay from scratch.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, if it's a simple 2D text animation , it might be easier to do from scratch

But it depends on the complexity , or what you have exactly

Some types of animation would be extremely difficult if not impossible to do in vegas
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BluffTitler, rendering as movie with alpha channel, then you can get pretty fancy quite easily. Overlay that on your target clip.

Scott
    Quote Quote