VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Greetings. Hopefully someone can help me. How exactly do I enable DMA transfers? My system is a p3 600, I have two hard drives, an IBM DPTA 372730 and a Maxtor 30Gb 7200 RPM DiamondMax Plus thingy which I plan to do the capturing to. Intel PCI Bus Master IDE Controller and a Secondary IDE controller are both listed under hard disk controlelrs plus a Promise Ultra66 IDE controller listed under SCSI controllers. I've found a couple of pages on this, suggesting I find new drivers for the hard disk controllers and use a file called ESDI_506.pdr, but I can't find any new drivers, and how do I use the pdr file?

Trying to use VirtualDub if that makes a difference. Just get kinda frustrated when I've got a fairly decent system and cannot figure this out and people with 350's are able to do this without difficulty

Pretty new to this whole gig, hopefully someone can help, since I'm pretty much lost without a map here.

Thanks,
    -Odo
    Quote Quote  
  2. what operating system do you have???

also, in win98 its pretty simple to enable, but in win2k its a bit more difficult

Hope this helps

|Mr_LoCo|
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    ReSpEcT
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Oops, hey, I bet that's important, sorry. Win98Se. Hey, if it's easy, that would be helpful
    Quote Quote  
  4. if im not wrong, you should find it in the SYSTEM MANAGER (control panel) then you should open the properties in the HD you want to enable, and somewhere you should find it.

I have win2k, but I had 98, and i guess thats how you enable it in the system

You might have to enable it in your BIOS, not sure

Hole this helps

|Mr_LoCo|
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    ReSpEcT
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Can't seem to find anything related in the device manager for either of my hard drives or in bios. Any other ideas?

-Odo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    control panel/systems/hardware tab/device manager.

Find your hard drive and open its properties, you should see a tab to enable DMA.

If you dont see it then close that and goto the properties of the controller for your drives (ide, scsi) and look at the properties of all those, (primary, secondary etc..) and enable "DMA if available."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I don't see any options to enable DMA either for the hard drives or the controllers. I have five options on my hard drives, Disconnect, Sync Data Transfer, Auto instert notification (which is grayed out), Removable, and Int 13 unit (which is checked and grayed out). The controllers page doesn't have any options at all.

I appreciate everyone's help on this so far, and any other ideas would be great

-Odo
    Quote Quote  
  8. Two options, either your drives don't support DMA, which I doubt it, or your IDE drivers are not updated, which I suggest you go into Intel's Website and get yourself the latest IDE drivers for your mainboard chipset, and then where you have the Sync Data you should have the DMA feature as well.

PS: Enable the Sync Data too!
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote