VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking for a recorder but I am confused with all the choices. I have Tivo and digital cable and would probably be using a combination of both. I also want to archive vhs, mini dv, and Hi-8 tapes. I want one with a hard drive and a vhs deck, unless others advise against. I also want to be able to edit out commercials as well as do minor editing on the standalone without resorting to a pc. I would probably be recording at highest quality and I don't plan on using dvd-ram, would rather just edit on the hd and use dvd-r.

I would like to cap the price at $1,000. I have been looking at JVC and Panasonic but would love to hear thoughts and opinions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you searched the DVD Recorders database (see the link on the left side of this window)?

Also, add Pioneer to your list.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Don't buy one with a VHS, combos are poor quality machines. As far as I know they don't make a combo with a hard drive, I'm not sure on that one though. Everyone here is probably going to say JVC, but I didn't like it, and alot of people have had problems with them. The Panasonics are more reliable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JVC or Pioneer
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote