VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you were right about the posting after part though.

Another question is this. If you quote improper behavior versus just reporting it, should your post be subject to the same rules?

EDIT: For instance a racial slur, or a link to warez.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ViRaL1
    I guess you were right about the posting after part though.

Another question is this. If you quote improper behavior versus just reporting it, should your post be subject to the same rules?
    I've sometimes edited a quote if some words were offensive or obvious links that are not allowed (not really this forum). This is because the original post may be edited/deleted by the mods afterwards anyway. I like how the posts don't get deleted here so people can see the errors of others, rather than wondering why they got a warning 8)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the quote is offensive or against the rules, don't the mods edit your quote also usually?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It depends. Mostly, we just edit out links to warez sites or the real nasties. On the whole, we ditch the entire thread to Closed Topics.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let's take the screenshot theory for a ride.

A a guy parked his car in front of my neighbor's house, blocking his driveway. The guy was there all of two minutes, but in that time, my neighbor goes out and clicks a picture of it (after having called the cops). The cops get there (quickly), but the guy is already gone. My neighbor proudly shows the digital pic, and guess what? The cops completely dismiss this "crime" and give my neighbor a tongue-lashing. True story.

Just as Pegasys (or whoever else) can take a screenshot, what's the difference to them when a mod intervenes? The "damage" is still done. Someone else may have read it already and given the info by PM (riiiight).

I think much of the reporting is so that people can feel that they are "special" to this site. They ride on the soapbox of "I'm making sure that this great site doesn't go down" so that it looks like their motives are noble. Your motives aren't so noble when you live in the Report thread (Bodyslide, et al.)

I tend to think like canadateck. Sometimes people make honest mistakes. They shouldn't be carded for doing the right thing and fixing it. We shouldn't always second-guess their motives and assume that their intent is malicious. Wouldn't that hold true for helping with "backups?" Should we also assume that anyone needing help backing up a DVD has rented that DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Supreme, give it a rest. You entered that thread for the sole purpose of having a go at me and offer nothing constructive to it, and now you purposefully try to rebutt and pick shit at my point of view. I clearly recall Bazooka copping a card for this exact same behavior not so long ago. Please stop being a troll
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    the rules are there and if people are stupid enough not to read them then tough crap. I don't normally read forum rules (does anbody?) as most forums have the same basic rules anyway

Like I said earlier most members will still have another 4 lives left and will lose the initial warning after 30 days. So what's the big deal about all this?

who cares who reports who as long as it's not personal or petty
    Quote Quote  
  8. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    A a guy parked his car in front of my neighbor's house, blocking his driveway. The guy was there all of two minutes, but in that time, my neighbor goes out and clicks a picture of it (after having called the cops). The cops get there (quickly), but the guy is already gone. My neighbor proudly shows the digital pic, and guess what? The cops completely dismiss this "crime" and give my neighbor a tongue-lashing. True story.
    If you're parked next to a fire hydrant, or a bus stop, or double parked in the middle of a busy street blocking traffic even for 5 minutes and a cop drives by, they will most likely stop and issue you a ticket right there on the spot. They won't let it go even for 5 minutes and they'll still give you the ticket even if you're getting in your car to drive away because if they let you get away with it for that time then others who see you parking there would want their 5 minutes too. Now think about the havoc that would cause if everybody did it. This is not the same as parking in someone's driveway.

No warez is the number one rule around here. Just like parking in the middle of an intersection will get you cursed out by other drivers even if a cop is not around, so does breaking the warez rule get the spotlight directed at you by other members around here. They are simply showing that they don't appreciate people's ignorance when breaking that rule, especially since it can be so potentially disruptive to this site.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Edit: Withdrawn

I feel this is going nowhere.Just dont want to be caught up in somthing I realy dont understand.

I did Edit this Post. My Apologies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shadowmistress
    If you're parked next to a fire hydrant, or a bus stop, or double parked in the middle of a busy street blocking traffic even for 5 minutes and a cop drives by... etc.
    That's just it. A cop, or in this case, a mod. If you pulled up next to a fire hydrant, got out of your car, realized a fire hydrant was there and moved your car, no harm no foul. If, in that time, someone takes a picture of your car next to the fire hydrant, it does nothing (except maybe make the tattletale feel smug).

They are simply showing that they don't appreciate people's ignorance when breaking that rule, especially since it can be so potentially disruptive to this site.
    Often, the detractors are much more disruptive than the "pirates". Sometimes a question of "Where can I get a copy of DVD Workshop 2?" can be simply answered with "Buy it" rather than reporting the post.

You need to calm down before you become a full-fledged gesta

ting pot of ire. To forgive is devine, right?

jim, calling someone a troll is not a very civil way to have a discussion. Neither is threatening the other party.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    If you're parked next to a fire hydrant, or a bus stop, or double parked in the middle of a busy street blocking traffic even for 5 minutes and a cop drives by... etc.
    That's just it. A cop, or in this case, a mod. If you pulled up next to a fire hydrant, got out of your car, realized a fire hydrant was there and moved your car, no harm no foul. If, in that time, someone takes a picture of your car next to the fire hydrant, it does nothing (except maybe make the tattletale feel smug).
    A good example, with one flaw. Every person who registers here has to view the Forum AUP, and it is displayed on every post. That's a fair chance to ensure the posts stay within the rules. Maybe alters the situation a little?

Everyone - please keep the conversation civil.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Shadowmistress: The traffic anology was pretty good I thought. Now I am ready to dish out some real road rage!
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ... If you pulled up next to a fire hydrant, got out of your car, realized a fire hydrant was there and moved your car, no harm no foul.
    Sometimes there's a fire. That's why the law is there in the first place.

You need to calm down before you become a full-fledged gesta

ting pot of ire.
    Think what you like. I value your opinion about as much as you value mine.
    Live and let live.
    You're the one who started this thread based on a hypothetical. That's the pot (of ire) calling the kettle black. :P

P.S. @ Zapper -
    Quote Quote  
  14. That's how all my prose got hijacked!

I knew I was never capable of writing such completely useless dribble.

It's a conspiracy! I knew it!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    It's a conspiracy! I knew it!
    I'm not paranoid!!!!!
    Just because everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    It depends. Mostly, we just edit out links to warez sites or the real nasties. On the whole, we ditch the entire thread to Closed Topics.
    I assume the closed topics are stored here which general users cannot access:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Correct. Sometimes when someone (usually me) moves a thread to closed topics I forget to uncheck the box to leave the link from the old forum to where it was moved to. Handy to let people find the now moved topic but pointless when only a handfull has acess to the forum its now in.

Thus that message when sometimes clicking on a "moved" topic.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Baldrick, the owner of this fine website, has set up a report this post link to enable you to help us keep this forum free from intolerance, spamming, general trouble making and warez.

Please report any post which you think breaks the rules and AUP of videohelp.com. The rules are there for a purpose and should be followed by everyone.

Thanks to those who have already used this function. It really helps us Mods keep this place the way most of us like it.

Thankyou!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    Baldrick, the owner of this fine website, has set up a report this post link to enable you to help us keep this forum free from intolerance, spamming, general trouble making and warez.
    your link didn't work so I edited it for you :P
    Quote Quote  
  20. Umm.. it was not meant to be a link, as one
    would be pointless given that it is included at the
    bottom right hand side of every post

-edit-

I made it darkblue to differentiate. ok?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    , I was just being a smart arse by showing the positive side of having the ability to edit a quoted post
    Quote Quote  
  22. In mod mode I tend to take things literally, it's a habit.
    In real life I'm really a cool guy
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by offline
    In mod mode I tend to take things literally, it's a habit.
    In real life I'm really a cool guy

'Cool' is not a term I would use to describe someone who understands what 'bootstrapping' is.

Prehistoric might be a better choice...

Quote Quote  
  24. 'Cool' is not a term I would use to describe someone who understands what 'bootstrapping' is.

Prehistoric might be a better choice...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I am a young 37, thank you sir!
    To put it into terms you understand I suggest
    you go shunt your rolling stock!

You are in bad order and have obviously
    reached your final mile post. It seems you
    have been uncoupled from the start and
    it's a pity your parents did not employ
    Three-Step Protection. :P
    Quote Quote