VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI,

I have a video file which is vbr, I would like to convert it to a cbr video file, so that i can edit the video with having audio sync problem. I have tried using handbrake but it stops encoding and responding at approx 80% way through encoding. Is there any other simple tool that i can use to convert the video to a cbr one?
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Vbr in either video or audio should not affect audio sync with most decent editors. Perhaps you are thinking of VFR?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you try HandBrake nightly?

Other than that you can use AviSynth:
    Code:
    a=ffaudiosource("sourcefile")
    v=ffvideosource("sourcefile", fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001) #example for 29.97 fps. change values according to the target framerate you want
    AudioDub(v, a)
    Then encode or load in your video editor.

(like Cornucopia I'm assuming you meant vfr, not vbr)
    Quote Quote  
  4. yes the video rate is variable and not the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks, sorry i am a newbie and have never used avisynth. Are there any GUI tools/easier to use tools that i can use, if the handbrake nightly build doesn't work?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Did you try HandBrake nightly?

Other than that you can use AviSynth:
    Code:
    a=ffaudiosource("sourcefile")
    v=ffvideosource("sourcefile", fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001) #example for 29.97 fps. change values according to the target framerate you want
    AudioDub(v, a)
    Then encode or load in your video editor.

(like Cornucopia I'm assuming you meant vfr, not vbr)
    The nightly build of handbrake didn't work, how do i use avisynth?

I tried creating a .avs script with the coding you gave. however i get on error - script error: there is no function named "ffaudiosource"

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by brandcc; 18th Jun 2017 at 02:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you, how do i use that please?

I copied the ffms2 plugins (ffms2.dll, ffms2.lib and ffmsindex.exe) into the AviSynth\plugins folder.. now i get the error - "the script's return value was not a video clip, (is the undfined value)."
    Last edited by brandcc; 18th Jun 2017 at 04:28.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Can you test same script but with other video files? Same error?
    Quote Quote  
  9. same error message when i used a different video file. The video file is a mp4 (x264)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Upload your .avs script. I suspect you didn't copy my example correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by brandcc View Post
    yes the video rate is variable and not the audio.
    You still didn't clarify exactly. Variable bitrate is perfectly normal for video, whereas a variable frame rate might cause sync problems when editing, depending on the program.

You could try AviDemux. If you click the Filters button, then select the Transform filters list on the left, it includes a filter called "Resample FPS".

AVIDemux will also do basic editing. I wasn't sure how it'd handle VFR source files, so I gave it a VFR MKV as a test. Without using the "Resample FPS" filter it output the average frame rate and the audio was out of sync. When I used "Resample FPS" it was fine. I tried a few quick edits, and that didn't seem to bother it, even for the VFR source.

If you want to simply cut out sections or re-arrange them, you can do so and save the output using "copy" for the video and audio so there's no re-encoding required. I tried cutting and pasting a few sections of my VFR MKV and then saved it without re-encoding, and the audio sync was fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are there any GUI tools/easier to use tools that i can use, if the handbrake nightly build doesn't work?
    There are some avisynth GUIs you can try, look for megui and staxrip.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks guys, i eventually managed to do it all in adobe premiere pro
    Quote Quote