VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

I recently purchased an Honestech Video grabber USB (connected via the 3 coloured audio outputs to a scart lead to the VHS player)

I installed driver software from the disk (Not from computer as Im doing this on a PC not connected to PC

Then installed the software, It all seems to be set up to PAL and fully installed but when I play my VHS player. It is not showing in the little black screen that shows off the video before you hit record? I have messed with settings Cant work out anything on it.

Can anyone help please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by leeuhf View Post
    It all seems to be set up to PAL
    Your VHS tape that you are trying to capture is PAL too.....right?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im guessing so, Its UK ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of tape are you trying to capture ??
    A store bought movie tape or one you've recorded your self.

Does the video grabber even work with copy protected tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Im guessing so, Its UK ?
    As long as you are certain that the tape is PAL (originated in the UK), then check input sources in the software or copy protection on the tape.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its a recording I made video camera.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using VHS to DVD 2.0.

I first installed the drivers from the disk then the software.

Using the USB device provided I connected it via scart (the 3 phono leads not S-Video as it doesnt support that on the VHS player)

Its set to USB2 grabber click in the settings to this
    Click Composite> Control
    Image set to PAL M
    Video DEcoder - Video Standard set to PAL_M

Recording Format - VCD
    Recording Video Type- PAL
    Quality - Best
    Sokut suze 640mb
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    can't be problem in
    Standard PAL I in the UK, Ireland, Hong Kong, South Africa, and Macau
    also UK cease Pal in TV.

But I don't really know if this can be problem. Probably even with Pal I you should see something even your analog device is different Pal version.
    Do you have some possibility to switch to PAL I in your Honestech Video grabber USB?

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do you have the vcr set to the right channel ?? usually video 1 or 2 depending on how many inputs are on the vcr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also Pal M is only in Brazil... And yes, if tv has more scart october262 can be right.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    do you have the vcr set to the right channel ?? usually video 1 or 2 depending on how many inputs are on the vcr.
    How do I check this?

And If Pal M is Brazil. what do I need ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most of Pal norm are somehow in new devices interchangable <- you know what word I have in mind. But pal M is worst you can choose. It has only 480 lines. Try pal DGB or I.
    Also if you have more scarts, choose different source for your TV. It should be able, if more input is available. On my old TV is it for example "0" on remote control.

Bernix
    Last edited by Bernix; 9th Sep 2018 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im sorry I dont understand what you are typing its not making much sense? Grammar wise?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I mean that you can see at least video doesn't mater what pal system are you using except M and probably N. But M has differernt almost everything it is very close to NTSC. So choose any other, and you can in worst case see something. Probably with some artifacts, but you should see at least something. With sound there is bigger problem.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video doesnt matter???

What pal system Im using? Its a VHS Video player and my PC with the video to computer grabber software

How do I find out if my product is m and probably n

Im sorry this isnt making sense what you are saying.

Ive gone through all settings nothing
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I check this?

On your remote control , it is the button called input.
    You should be able to do the same with the channel up & down
    Buttons.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most capture software doesn't automatically select the correct video system used for input. You need to change the capture software's video system and Image settings from PAL M to PAL I since the VHS tape was recorded on UK equipment.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    UK is either PAL I or PAL B

One thing you really should check first is that the scart cable is in an output socket on the VCR and not an input. Easiest way is plug the yellow cable in to a tv or test with a scart to scart cable.

The VCR manual will tell you whether you choose Line 1 or Line 2 when connected to a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 to DB83's post

In addition, I just found out from another forum that some scart to composite cables are directional, either for input or output only.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yip. This is a possibility if the scart end is not fully wired.

There are also these adapters which have scart on one end and composite sockets on the other. And they have a switch for either input or output.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I check this?

On your remote control , it is the button called input.
    You should be able to do the same with the channel up & down
    Buttons.
    The VCR Doesnt have a remote Ill ask the owner who borrowed it me if it does.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    +1 to DB83's post

In addition, I just found out from another forum that some scart to composite cables are directional, either for input or output only.
    So this means it wont work how I have it? (Audio grabber USB > 3 colour female Phone > scart)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alot of this is way over my head lol.

Do you think it may be easier to A/ Buy a vhs player with S-video or B/ Buy a different video grabber.

What I may do is record a video of what Im doing and post it here... ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are not helping yourself since to do appear to fail to understand the help you are getting.

So the VCR is not yours. Then at the very least ask the owner to explain which scart socket - I assume there are two as most VCRS will have two - is for output.

Failing that. Can you tell us (may have to ask the owner again) the make/model of the VCR.

The cable you have may be fine. Did you buy this in a store or on line ? If on line then provide a link so we can also check this out.

Buying another video grabber will not help since you may still wonder why you have this blank screen i.e. 'No signal'
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @DB83

Just a guess, I'm not familiar with Scart being in the US, but I suspect from the OP's description "3 colour female Phone > scart" its likely input only? I'm guessing if it was for output, it would likely have male RCA?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by leeuhf View Post
    So this means it wont work how I have it?
    Nobody knows since you haven't clearly described what you have. What colors are the connectors on the SCART adapter? Red, green, blue? Or red, white, yellow? There's a big difference.

USB > 3 colour female Phone > scart)
    It's traditional for the arrows to point in the direction the signal is flowing. Since your intent is to capture video from the VHS player with your device:

Code:
    VHS SCART > SCART adapter RCA > USB capture device
    This is important because some SCART adapters are for sending SCART to RCA, others from RCA to SCART. Some are bi-directional (but only one direction at a time). They will have a switch to control which way you want to use them:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Switched-Recorder-Television-Projector/dp/B00S69TW0G/

Your VHS deck probably has two SCART connectors. One is for sending the signal from the VHS deck to a TV for playback of VHS tapes. This is an "output" and the deck probably has something like that written near the connector. The other connector is an input. It is for recording other sources onto VHS tape. The connector probably has IN or INPUT written near it.

It might be best for you to post pictures of the SCART connectors on the VHS deck, the adapter, and the capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    So this means it wont work how I have it?
    Nobody knows since you haven't clearly described what you have. What colors are the connectors on the SCART adapter? Red, green, blue? Or red, white, yellow? There's a big difference.

USB > 3 colour female Phone > scart)
    It's traditional for the arrows to point in the direction the signal is flowing. Since your intent is to capture video from the VHS player with your device:

Code:
    VHS SCART > SCART adapter RCA > USB capture device
    This is important because some SCART adapters are for sending SCART to RCA, others from RCA to SCART. Some are bi-directional (but only one direction at a time). They will have a switch to control which way you want to use them:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Switched-Recorder-Television-Projector/dp/B00S69TW0G/

Your VHS deck probably has two SCART connectors. One is for sending the signal from the VHS deck to a TV for playback of VHS tapes. This is an "output" and the deck probably has something like that written near the connector. The other connector is an input. It is for recording other sources onto VHS tape. The connector probably has IN or INPUT written near it.

It might be best for you to post pictures of the SCART connectors on the VHS deck, the adapter, and the capture device.
    Ill post pictures and video tonight this sounds promising as It has 2 x scart connectors. But It calls them 1 and 2
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    @DB83

Just a guess, I'm not familiar with Scart being in the US, but I suspect from the OP's description "3 colour female Phone > scart" its likely input only? I'm guessing if it was for output, it would likely have male RCA?
    Having a female end for the cable is not, normally, an issue.

The cable is, typically, quite short so you then use a standard composite male to male for the ultimate connection ( since the distance from VCR to PC could be quite long) to the capture device.

One thing that occurred to me is that the OP actually connected the wrong coloured cable from connector to capture device. Whist they may all look the same most of us know that red or white in to yellow will mean a blank screen. To clarify. You connect red plugs to red sockets. White to white. And Yellow, which is the video signal, to yellow.

Jeez. I just wish the OP would answer these basic questions.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The player is a. Bush video plus Image
    [Attachment 46716 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote