VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. jmayme
    Hello.
    I recently discovered a big problem with several DVD's I encoded recently. The problem is the picture in some videos seem to be "lagging", not all the time, but when it does, you can really see it. I have tried the DVd on different players, but the problem remains the same. (On computer DVD player though I don't experience the problem). I have been recorded the DVD using VirtualVCR (for capture), converted to mpeg with TMPEGENC and used DVDLab Pro to finally encode the DVD.
    I have no idea what might have happened during this process, but if anyone recognize or know this problem, please let me know. I have been trying myself to solve this without any positive result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Describe 'lagging' in more detail
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. jmayme
    Well, I aint sure if the word "lagging" is very fit, but when you watch the parts where this problem occurs, the frames looks like they are either missing or are playing twice. The picture is like, "hacking" (?). However it doesn't look natural when playing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    on your computer or standalone dvd player or both?
    Quote Quote  
  5. jmayme
    The DVD lags only on standalone player. On my computer it plays fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you deinterlace, motion resolution drops from 59.94 field per sercond time slices to 29.97 frames per second. You will see film like studder in areas with motion.

Correction: For Sweden, 50 fields per second becomes 25 frames per second.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It sounds like a field order issue. Try bottom field first on your encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wrong field order will give a vertical jump during motion.
    Quote Quote  
  9. jmayme
    Okay, I'll try bottom field. I'll return posting when I have tried that out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. jmayme
    Okay, seem like the possible cause has been found. When I choosed bottom field on all videos on a dvd, the picture "lagged", but with top field it didn't. I have memories of it setting some of the videos automatically to bottom field, so I suppose that is what caused it. Wish there were any way in correcting those afterwards though. Cost me a dvd but I guess it will spare me a lot of trouble.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Restream can change the field order without re-encoding, but you have ot demux the video to do it. Don't know if DVD Patcher can alter the field order inside a VOB.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Just make sure before encoding what the filed dominance settings are for the codec your using. Which codec were you editing/exporting ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. jmayme
    I am not very sure, but I think it is Divx codec I have been using. It gave me the most of the picture, haven't seen any flaws or anything in it so far.
    ----

Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Restream can change the field order without re-encoding, but you have ot demux the video to do it. Don't know if DVD Patcher can alter the field order inside a VOB.
    Demux? You mean it is possible to rip an already burned DVD and switch the field order in the video thats faulty? It would save a lot of trouble if so, instead of recapturing all those 20 dvds..
    Quote Quote