VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    perhaps you could take your cam and laptop into a circuit city or some other store, and either try another camera with your pc, or try your camera with another pc they have there. that way, you can narrow this down to either your computer or your camera
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried another Firewire cable?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried a new fire wire and also just tried using dvgate which is a capture software that came with my vaio laptop, but I have the same problem. I might just do that.....take my laptop down to a store and try another dv camera to see if the problem goes away. I plan on calling Sony tomorrow to see if they can help me. I did use thier on-line data base and they recomened some setting changes in the device manager but it didn't help any. It's got to be either my dv camera or the fire wire port......I'm totally bummed.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everyone, I wanted to update all the peopel who has tried to help me with my capture problem and first and farmost, thank all of you who have lead me down the right path to figuring out this problem. Here is what I found out.

I went down to circut city and brought my laptop and the same dv tape that I was trying to capture. I hooked up my computer to a different dv camera and patched it in via the same fire wire that I was using with my handycam. I used the same softwate to capture (windv) and went to work. I was able to capture about 20+ min with out 1 dropped frame!! I couldn't beleive it so I tried it again.................same results, no dropped frames! Then I tried the same test with a different capture software that came with my sony vaio laptop and again 15+ min with no dropped frames. So I went home and hooked up my new dv handy cam using the same software, fire wire etc....and I couldn't even capture 3 min with out 18 dropped frames. So that is the problem.....IT's THE CAMERA!! I think maybe the fire wire port is having an issue. But something else is strange, when I hook my handycam to my standalone dvd bruner via the fore wire, it works fine and burns without an issue. That is weird. Any how I am going to return my camera and try to exchange it with another to see if that makes everything go away. Does this all make sense to everyone? I tried going through the handycam menus to see if there was a setting I needed to change to see if that was the problem, but I can't seem to figure it out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    on my trv38 i make sure my display is set to LCD & my av>dv out menu is set to on
    golftee
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    on my trv38 i make sure my display is set to LCD & my av>dv out menu is set to on
    i believe he said he alread tried that...

that sounds like your problem. if you bought it not too long ago, i would take it back to where you got it and try to exchange it. or if you bought it online, try to email the company to see if you can send it back. if its been a while since you bought it, you're probably gonna have to send it in to get warranty repair on it. i would suggest taking it back to enchange it over the warranty service. ive had several things that have broke that i had to send in for warranty repairs, and its a big hassle. so stay away from it if you can
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry 'cowboy', thought his spread said...

"I tried going through the handycam menus to see if there was a setting I needed to change to see if that was the problem, but I can't seem to figure it out."

just giving suggestions like everyone else.....hope he figures it out
    golftee
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh no guy's............You won't beleive this.......I went and exchanged the camera for the same make and model trv38, becasue I bought it about 5 weeks ago and they will only do an even exchange. I got the camera home and the same thing is happening.....Now when I did my little test I was using a different model handycam becasue that was all they had and it worked perfectly. So I can't beleive that this model camera has 2 different cameras bought 5 weeks apart in 2 different states and have the same exact issue? That is almost impossible. So, now I think may there is a setting in the handycam that must be set incorrectly.

Golftee, you said you also have this sonytrv38 dv handycam correct? Do you have this problem? If not, what are the settings in your menu? maybe I have something just not set right.....What the heck is going on here? It's almost funny to tell you the truth
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote..on my trv38 i make sure my display is set to LCD & my av>dv out menu is set to on]

what are your current camera settings (vcr mode..page 1 settings)[/quote]
    golftee
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    probably should have taken your laptop with you when you went an exchanged your camera...could have tested both at the same time.
    golftee
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did bring my laptop down to the store when I thought I figured out that the camera was the issue. I tried to capture video right in the store. I just didn't try in on a trv38, becasue they didn't have one. I used another model sony handycam.

my menus settings in vcr mode for "page 1" are

P effect = off
    highfi sound = setreo
    audio mix = ST1
    a/v - dv out = on
    LCD BL = bright
    VFL = bright
    still set = fine
    movie set imge size = 320X240
    File No = series
    Title = Ready
    Title display = on
    cm search = on
    rec mode = sp
    audio mode = 16 bit
    remain - auto
    usb stream = off
    langauge = english
    data code = todays date
    beep = melody
    commander = on
    display = lcd
    video edit = ready
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the only differences i have are; 12bit audio & usb stream on, niether look like the problem (you never know)
    the only other suggestion is the software that came with the camera...
    (pixela imagemixer), i loaded it but don't use it, cumbersome.. (had usb drivers),
    golftee
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what software are you using to capture from you dv camera?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use windv, no dropped frames
    golftee
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are you using windows XP ? what kid of pc are you using? I am just trying to see what the differances may be between our 2 systems.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    computer details listed in "computer details" on any of my threads...
    hold your mouse cursor on computer details..
    golftee
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting discussion!

After reading through all the posts, in my mind...

1) There is nowt wrong with your camera. Hardware or software (settings)
    (I mean it does work on other PCs doesn't it??)
    2) There is nowt wrong with your computer. Hardware that is.
    (Hell the spec IS well up to the job)

That leaves one of two possibilites:
    3) Dodgy firewire interface / cable / connection (unlikely, but check it).
    Absolutely eliminate all the above and & you're left with:
    4) Laptop operating system software / setup etc. (VERY likely).

I thought that Sony uses it own propritary software & drivers etc. for connecting up DV cameras etc. Certainly seems to be the case for my m8s Viao... Little sod was showing off how easy it was to connect up my DV camera - made me as jealous as hell! I guess you don't really want to hear that tho'!

If it is not too much a real pain in the ar-se I would first uninstall & then reinstall your video & audio codecs & if this fails a total system resinstalltion!

Andy
    Work you bloody thing....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not know if my camera works with another pc to capture. That is my next test. However, I do know that my laptop woked with another type of sony dv handy cam. (see my eailer post). So that's what made me beleive that it was a defective dv jack on my camera. Then when I exchanged the camera with another brand new camera of the same make and model, I got the same exact results. Tons of dropped frames. So now i am back to taking my camera and trying it on a different pc, to see if that works. I called sony but they couldn't help. All they do is use their on-line knowledge base, wihcih is what I also did on their website. I did also try using the sony capture software that came with the handycam but it didn't help. We are getting close to cracking this......hahaha. It's so frustrating, it's almost funny. Anyway, once I test my camera on a different pc, I'll let everyone know what happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep I think you're definately getting there.

Soz but I do read previous posts but my memory is shot!

Hehe I once had major problems with my internet connection - I just could not get on line. I phoned them up & was told to download the latest drivers.

Just before ending the call I told him to (and I quote) "stop being a thick twat!" Helpdesks are about as useful as tits on a bull - Hence superb forums like this one.

(Indeed the problem was a knackered modem card which was brand new!)

Andy
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well the polt thickin's...........I can't even beleive it but here we go. I went down to the store with my camcorder and hooked it up to one of their pc's to see if I could capture video without dropped frames. I used my firewire and same tape of video footage. It worked without any problems. I didn't change a single setting in the camera at all. So now I'm standing there thinking "ok I tried my laptop with another dv camera AND I tried my camera with another computer and everything works, so how come when I hook the 2 together I can't capture even 3 min of footage without 50-100 dropped frames? So, now I drive back to my office at work and set up my laptop and camera to get it ready for me to call sony again to see if they can walk me through the process to see if I am doing anything wrong. While I am on hold waiting for tech support I went ahead and hooked up the camera via the firewire and tried to capture the footage again. Well after about 3 min I looked down and there were no dropped frames. (I'm am using windv). Then 5min go by and still no dropped frames. Then the tech support guy comes on the phone and I am explaining to him my entire situation for the last 2 weeks trying to capture and now 10min have gone by and still no dropped frames!! He gave me the proper settings for the camera, and I am going through all the menu screens as the video is still capturing and everything was already set up properly. As I sit here writing this post, I have captured almost 30min and not one dropped frame. What the hell happened!! The only thing that is different is that I am not at home doing this. Is my house cursed!! HAHA! The only thing I can think of and this is a stupid thing to say, but in my office and at the store, I did everything on a wooden surface. (counter top and desk) where as at home my table is glass and metal. I know your saying "so what"....me too but nothing else has changed. Now I don't know what to think. I am going to try and do lots of capturing to see I things stay stable. Can anyone think of any reason why this might have happened?
    Quote Quote  
  21. This belong in sci fi forum Probably had something to do with Venus passing in front of the sun last monday, making your glass/metal table turn into an energy center. Or maybe i been watching too many scifi movies... Glad it worked, hope it continues to do so when you get home, Venus is far away already
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow, interesting. glad you got it to work though. it you try it at home and it doesnt work, that would be wierd. maybe all dv cams should come with a warning to use on a wooden table only. as a matter of fact, thats what my laptop is on, and ive never had any problems
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    W3ird!

Of course there are other subtle differences based on location of which 3 things in my mind could be the possible source of your problems....

1) The mains supply: Concider this if your laptop and / or your camera was plugged into it / via a charger. If it was, unplug it during the capturing process.

2) Sources of electrical interference: Although every elecrical appliance should be tested against susceptability (& emissions) you never know! Concider such things as mobile phones, fridges, heating systems (aka pumps), washing machines, hoovers, drills, flourescent lighting etc. Also concider what your neighbours may be up to (BTW domestic mains supplies effectively connects every 3rd neighbour to the same phase)!

3) Do you live near a moblie phone base station ??!!

To test this theory, set up in your garden & then gradually move closer to your original setup position whilst monitoring dropped frames.... Pedantic I know!

Hell, this is the only thing that I can think of!

Andy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another thought...

A metal framed glass topped desk COULD be acting like a radio antenna that would by some amazing coincidence based on its dimensions be amplifying any electrial emissions as would be the case for situation 3) above (or a nearby mobile phone / CB radio).

Either try a different desk or ground the metal frame of your desk to mains earth or a radiator.

If this IS the route of your problems I will be utterly amazed, but it is not beyond the laws of physics!

Andy.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Similar problems here, David.
    I have a Sony HC85, a p4 2.26 proc, 200 Gb RAID 1, 512 rdram pc1066.

I have tried WinDV, Pinnacle Studio 9, and Pinnacle Liquid 5.5 and aAdbobe Premiere Pro 1.5. Each of these programs freezes my computer.
    It happens about 5-10 seconds into capture (sometimes less). I thought it was the way the data code starts over, but I tried what I learned on the forum (starting a new tape) and it still freezes any program.
    I have checked my HD Controller (it has updated drivers) and is set to do UDMA.
    I am ordering more RDAM (this stuf is expensive, I hope it works!)
    Anyone with suggestions, please HELP!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone, well I finally got my capture to work without dropped frames. I think I know what was happening but I can't confrim it. When I was using the "glass table" set-up (read eailer posts), the table is not very big so the camera was pretty much on top of the laptop with the firewire kind of tangled up between the two components. When I set up on a larger surface, I was able to have the camera far enough away from the laptop that the cable was sort of streched out and I think this seated the connector in the port a little nicer. Maybe I had not properly seated the connector before and that cause the frames to get lost in transfering. That's all I can come up with because I have now captured several things form the camera including using it as a pss through from VHS to dvd and it seems to be ok. Hopefully this might help someoelse if they have the same issue down the road.
    Quote Quote  
  27. davidvignola,

You might have a bad cable (intermittent break) or possibly a bad solder joint at the connector of your camera or computer. Try wiggling the cable at each end while capturing and see if that causes any dropped frames.
    Quote Quote